• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update from the morning paper: The 2000 yen on weekdays deal, which is planned to run for 3 years from April 1st, is now planned to apply whether one uses ETC or not. However, the 1000 yen on weekends and holidays deal will remain ETC-only.

Final agreement on details of the plan is expected tomorrow, the 16th.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Interested to see how this works out in the end.

I'm going to guess it will be great for Friday-night hotel occupancies. Should make life easier for weekend warriors.

And weekday warriors too, of course.

Some highlights from the latest press release on the å›½åœŸäº¤é€šçœ website (see release dated 2011/02/16 on website linked up-thread).

For 3 years, starting 1 April 2011:

* The weekend/holiday 1,000 yen upper limit for regular cars using ETC will continue.

* Regular cars will have a 2,000 yen upper limit on weekdays, whether using ETC or paying cash. Keijidousha will have an upper limit of 1,000 yen on weekdays.

* Starting some time this summer, eco-cars (as defined for tax purposes) equipped with ETC can be registered to get the same 1,000 yen weekday rate that keijidousha get. [until then they are just treated as regular cars, so 2,000 yen weekdays.]

* Other regular discounts (late-night, rush-hour, daytime, etc.) will still apply. [There you go, muika.] The mileage discount will be reviewed in 2012.

* Changes to the pricing structure of the Shutokou and the Osaka-area highways that were being considered have been deferred to 2012.

Originally Posted By: mina2
Will be good for me, can imagine the jams in the built up areas and places like where you are.

Izu is absolutely horrible for traffic. It's about the only thing that I really dislike about living here.
Originally Posted By: snowboard
You live in a busy tourist area Chriselle?

Ya. Probably the busiest. As BM said the summer is nuts with beachgoers. It gets to the point where we can't go anywhere on a weekend because traffic sucks going up or down the penninsula.
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
lol
But seriously, isn't grass* back home ace?
Let's celebrate grass.

[The kind that you see on a lawn]

Back in Victoria, Canada....we got ALL kinds of grass.. groovy

Pie, I love grass back home ( the lawn variety), its so green and lush. I really miss seeing lots of lush grass lawns in parks etc here. The mud/straw/plastic mesh that they lay down here looks pretty sad. I don't understand why they can't get grass to grow properly

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Totally agree.
My mum and dad have a lovely big well-kept lawn.
When I go back I love just sitting there in the sun.
Eating pies.
It's fabulous.

Same here. The only grass I have here are the two or three blades trying to eek out an existence in the cracks of the concrete of my driveway. wakaranai