Food that Japan just doesn't seem to get yet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Hirakata

I find it very hard to get raw unsatled nuts, and also whole oats, but occasionally will come across an import/specialty grocer that has them.

Themeatguy does 1/2 kilo of oats for 470yen. wink
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Hirakata

I find it very hard to get raw unsatled nuts, and also whole oats, but occasionally will come across an import/specialty grocer that has them.

Themeatguy does 1/2 kilo of oats for 470yen. wink

how about real bacon?
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Tell the advertising authorities JA.
I'm sure they'll investigate any lies for you.
Not necessarily lies as such, just "mis-interpretations of , and omissions of, unpleasant bits of truth".

Sorta like most advertising, really. Tell the truth if it suits, omit it if it doesn't suit, and redefine it if that helps.
Originally Posted By: miller
Found a good place for coffee in Naeba.

This is right next to the main day trip car park at the resort

miller_20.JPG

Nice do they do Trenta size or Verdi or all those other silly names?

We found good coffee in Japan, just not at the snow. In Shinjuku we found a segafredo cafe. That was the only place that I saw a manual machine. They even understood what I meant by "double shot." Had a nice creme and all. All of the other places had automatice machines that made some aweful coffee.

By the time we got t oHakuba I had resigned myself to drinking drip filtered coffee in the hotel each morning and cans from the vending machines.

Next year I will just have to accept that I wont get good coffee for a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: smostyn
We found good coffee in Japan, just not at the snow. In Shinjuku we found a segafredo cafe. That was the only place that I saw a manual machine. They even understood what I meant by "double shot." Had a nice creme and all. All of the other places had automatice machines that made some aweful coffee.
By the time we got t oHakuba I had resigned myself to drinking drip filtered coffee in the hotel each morning and cans from the vending machines.

Next year I will just have to accept that I wont get good coffee for a few weeks.
Alternative is take a plunger and grounds with you. Better by far than most of the dishwater served up as coffee over there.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Plunger! pfoof

stove top expresso maker (for camping) and solid fuel/cannister

Or was that espresso? expresso isn't coffee (dunno what it is but it ain't coffee! - the word is espresso, meaning "expressly for you") wink
  • 1 month later...

yeah deffo GG. I think its because the Japanese version is based on the american version of bacon (which we call streaky). The thing is when the Japanese do it, they seem to pre-cook it and it turns all rubbery and ham-like. At least American bacon still tastes good, although I do wish someone would start producing back bacon....its so much better than streaky