Japanese breakfasts - what's good, what's not?

Don't get me wrong, I love japanese food generally but have passed on a lot of the J-breakfast selections on previous trips in favour of cereal & toast.

We are staying at a different place this year at Shiga Kogen that I suspect does not have the Aussie brekky staples.

I have previously by-passed the strange looking offerings at the typical breakfast buffet so would appreciate any advice on what may be more appetising than it looks.

Pics welcome.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can be rice, fish, pickles, soup, natto and some fruit.

May also be sausages, eggs, rice, soup and natto.

Had both of those when i stayed at hotel yuzawa yuzawa last year.

Just email the hotel and ask them.

Natto........smells like a gym bag full of sweaty clothes thats been left out in the sun for a month and a half and tastes about the same!!

Japanese breakfasts..........shite. I steer clear of them and enjoy my cereal and toast! biggrin

Look, I love the cultural and gastronomic adventure aspects of Japan more than most, but... Japanese breakfasts - my stomach just isn't ever going to be ready for that.

As for Natto...how much does that video make it look like baby poop? My good wife has a collective term for a range of natto/tofu/???? type foods that seem to pop up in most meals - Snotto ... as in "that's a particularly slimy Snotto dish, isn't it?". I of course can't condone such cultural insensitivity, but I know just what she means.

Originally Posted By: snowjunky
Don't get me wrong, I love japanese food generally but have passed on a lot of the J-breakfast selections on previous trips in favour of cereal & toast.
We are staying at a different place this year at Shiga Kogen that I suspect does not have the Aussie brekky staples.
I have previously by-passed the strange looking offerings at the typical breakfast buffet so would appreciate any advice on what may be more appetising than it looks.
Pics welcome.

Okay, I have lived in Japan for seven years and I think Japanese breakfast's kick-arse, but then again I tend to like breakfast from most countries.

Basically, a Japanese breakfast will comprise fish (salmon), rice, pickled vegetables and miso soup; you should be able to eat this.

You may also get a salad, tamagoyaki (rolled omelette) thrown in as well. All of this is edible, in fact it will be fresh, and should taste nice.

Natto is definitely an acquired taste, but I would be surprised if they serve you natto. I will go so far as to say that they will probably have a western style menu that has a "Japanese flavour", much like Japanese restaurants in Australia, which have an "Australian flavour" to them.

I say give it a go.

Originally Posted By: beowulf

Okay, I have lived in Japan for seven years and I think Japanese breakfast's kick-arse, but then again I tend to like breakfast from most countries.

Basically, a Japanese breakfast will comprise fish (salmon), rice, pickled vegetables and miso soup; you should be able to eat this.

why should you be able to??.....I can't
wakaranai

It's true that Japanese hotel breakfasts are massively variable. Often you get a western style buffet breakfast, but it's more about bread, eggs and salad than about the traditional western meaty staples or cereals.

The traditional Japanese breakfast is usually grilled fish (especially salmon), rice and miso soup. Quite a healthy choice, but can be a bit on the light side in advance of a morning's skiing.

Watch out for salarymen drinking bottled beer with their breakfast - quite a common sight, but still does my head in.

SdS

It must stink to be living in Japan and not like eating fish. Fish meat, fish skin, fish tails, fish heads, yumm! Fish for breakfast? Heck yeah! It's so expensive back home, I consider myself spoiled here.

Things I eat for breakfast (like you care):

Broiled fish (salmon, sama, shisamo, whatever!)

Rice (we mix in half brown half white)

Miso soup

Salad

Tofu (yummy with a dash of sesame oil, shoyu and bonito flakes)

Dried nori

Pretty much whatever tastes good (I ain't that picky).

Things I do NOT eat for breakfast, or ever for that matter:

Natto

My significant other is not allowed to eat Natto in my presence. That crap makes me gag. Oh, the stench! I would rather eat dried grasshoppers, if forced to choose.

(My $.02)

Bon Appetit!