Totally agree with BM.

But powder helps because it´s easier to turn. Wet heavy snow is not good.

Some people argue, because one is a beginner so it´s better that they don´t slide easy. Bullshit. Wax your skis. Bend your knees.

I board - so weighing in on this debate is pretty silly...BUT FWIW I would say a nice soft fresh groomed cover over the top of firm but not icy piste is the way to go.

Some advanced skiers balk in deep powder - it can take some getting used to.

And ice is no ones friend.

I like Mamabear´s description. thumbsup

Really depends what people mean by powder.

Since the OP is "worst skier in Niseko" I reckon the powder snow in Niseko is great to learn, in that situation. A little surface coating on groomed thumbsup

Nice sunny day. Hard conditions with grip.

Powder will push or pull your skis or board

around so stay clear of it. Dont fear ice.

Ice will show you how to hold an edge. Some

of the best riders in the world come from east

coast ice. Get the right skis or board to learn

on. Dont go too long in length keep it nice

and short.

Regardless of the snow conditions if you want to enjoy yourself then invest in some private lessons. After a few days of one on one lessons the rest of the season will be so much more enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Is it "FUN" you are wanting, worst skier?

If so, avoid ice.

I am with YOU Ski!

As an Aussie I am all too familiar with ice. Lovely stuff it is - slippery concrete. I do contend though that riding ice has made me a better boarder. Just not the thing you want to be doing if you are resembling a 'new born giraffe'....give the guy a couple of happy days on the soft snow before taking him to the ice fields wink

Sam Bode Miller from New Hampshire home to wicked amounts of ice.

Jeremy Jones New England home to wicked amounts of ice.

I wouldnt go out looking for ice but dont avoid it and learn to ride it. If you can make turns on ice you can ride anywhere.

Originally Posted By: SKI
....but if you want FUN, avoid ice.

agree. Having learned on the ice encrusted rocky slopes of Scotland, I can definitely say that riding nice soft snow is infinitely better and I avoid ice at all costs!!

I don't reckon you are the worst skier in niseko.

Last season I saw a couple learning by themselves. They were walking in their skis back and forth. They also had woollen gloves which I helped pick up for them one time.

Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
Originally Posted By: rider69
If you can make turns on ice you can ride anywhere.

Perhaps you should go down to Hakuba to get good on the ice, dude. Then you 'can ride anywhere'

thumbsup

wink
HEY!
veryangryThat's our Down Under Advantage!!!!

Ice is good for teaching you how to ski well, once you can already ski a bit. For actual beginners, it's scary, painful, and fast.

It's hard to argue against freshly groomed powder really, just perfect. Slush works fine too though.

Jimmer made my point better than I did.

but

LOL. I didn't say start on ice. I said don't shy away from it and learn how to ski it. No ski instructor on the world gets past a (about level 2 PISA) without some coaching tickets. That means high level ski instructors have learned how to turn on hard packed or ice.

I think if you're a beginner rather than worry about snow conditions, just get out there and do it. I learned on shite snow out in Hiroshima - so if I learned there and many other people learn on better hills and conditions, they're prolly better off.

I think the most important thing, if you really are a beginner, is to get out there as many days as possible and get the hang of it, and spend time learning how to ski, as opposed to worrying about snow conditions.