Along the big peninsula in the NW you have the Teshio Mountains decreasing in altitude as you go North into what's known as the Soya Hills.

From Cape Soya as you head east it's initially a little hilly and then fairly mountainous. From a little ways before Lake Poro you come out onto a fairly big flat area until a little ways past Lake Kutcharo. Then it's fairly mountainous again until you get to near Esashi.

Then there's a reasonably flat coastal plain with mountains rising up not far inland most of the way to Abashiri. Around Abashiri it's pretty flat stretching back quite a ways inland until you hit the Akan Lakes and volcanic region. From just past Abashiri you hit the mountains stretching up into the Shiretoko peninsula.

It's not that much colder up along the northern coast in winter than most other parts of Hokkaido. The sea ice that reaches the northern coast is actually drift ice from further north pushed down by the predominant northerlies in winter. Because of the cold sea though it can take a long while for it to heat up in Spring. Sometimes they don't have temperatures above 20 until July. Quite a lot of people live up there though.

Some areas in the Teshio Mountains I believe get more snow than in the Niseko area but the northern coast doesn't get that much snow averaging around 2-5m generally getting less as you go east.

I did in Autumn a few years ago and it took most of the day. Can't remember the exact amount of time but with a couple of stops along the way it was around 7-8 hours from memory.

Wakkanai itself isn't much of a town but it does allow access to Rishiri and Rebun Islands. Rishiri is really quite spectacular. Thinking of doing a March trip up there to climb and ski the peak in the middle of the island.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Wakkanai itself isn't much of a town but it does allow access to Rishiri and Rebun Islands. Rishiri is really quite spectacular. Thinking of doing a March trip up there to climb and ski the peak in the middle of the island.

A buddy and I planned to do that but we never got around to it. I was just down the coast a ways in Rumoi for three years. The winters are seriously nasty there.

Let's talk thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Chriselle

A buddy and I planned to do that but we never got around to it. I was just down the coast a ways in Rumoi for three years. The winters are seriously nasty there.

In what way? mega cold, mega snowy, man-hunting bears eating everyone in sight??