Resorts STILL charging 1000 yen for car parking

It is only 1000 yen. For a day trip, it shouldn't matter. For a week long trip, it adds up.

I understand that it stinks to be "fined" y1000 just because you want to spend a day at a resort spending money, however this is age old, but that doesnt really make it right. It is teh same as councils that charge you to park your car when you shop in the local retail area. The parking usually cost far more than ski resort parking, and you are not even there for 'fun' (ie snow sports). You are there to pay bills, buy groceries, get a haircut etc. Not many people complain about this. However space is limited in retail areas, so parking should perhaps come at a cost. Space is however not limited at a ski resort, so perhaps parking should be free.

Hmm, I am not sure where I stand on this issue.

The basic fact is: snowsports are fun, people will pay to do them, resorts charge for parking. It is called making money from customers. Nothing is for free.

Where do you go then iggy? Until the last few years most resorts in Nagano/Niigata charged a K for parking. Then lots of them went to charging just at weekends. then more recently, free most of the time. some keep on charging tho

Chief offender here is probably Happo. You either have to pay Y1000 to park close or Y500 to park further away. It makes me not want to go there.

I had an email exchange with Echo Valley about this too. Their carpark is owned by another company and although parking is free on weekdays and weekends if you have a season ticket, at weekends you have to pay. The resort can't get the company to change this, though they claim to be trying. Again, I won't go there at the weekend.

Kamoshika and I found a good way to avoid this at Dynaland-just drive through the hotel parking lot to the right of the toll booth. They should be damn happy that you're there in the first place and if they want to make more money they should provide good food at a reasonable price, or some other good/service punters want to buy. This is all part of adding value to the experience of going-return customers may then think "mmm... no need to stock up at Lawsons cause the foods great"etc etc. Scalping for car parking deducts value and is otherwise known as a rip-off. This may have been acceptable in the heady years of the bubble but it doesn't cut the mustard these days IMO.

hunter mtn. is even worse...

1000 for parking

600 to use about 5km or road that takes you to the parking

excessively pricey lift pass for not much of a mtn...

mad.gif

danz

I dont see how they can justify making you pay for parking. They should be glad you are going there to ride in the first place. If you drive it means that public transport doesnt have to be sorted so its easier for them. Ok they have to clear the carpark but it doesnt take very long and its part of the package I think.

I also dont see why you have to pay extra to use the half pipe at Arai. I think that is money grubbing too, esp as there isnt even a lift servicing it so you have to hike and when its spring its a big pull to go to the mtns. Do they charge anywhere else.

just my 2 yens worth

But they have to pay the indispensable 250 car park attendants waving their big red wands telling you where to park. Don't forget that unavoidable cost they have with the car parks.

\:D

Boo to those resorts? Most Japanese just say shoganai now dont they. If you go to Whistler the pass is about 50 bucks US. figure that into the cost of a ticket here and its still cheaper to ski here. The highway is the real cash grab, I say boo to the highway.

Originally posted by cal:

[QB] The car parks are free at, maybe, 95% of resorts now. (Aren't they?)

What?! Where are you from? I know most of the country side ski areas don`t charge for parking but the big, well known ones or ones that are easily accessible by hwy from Tokyo will charge 1000yen as the standard fare. The funniest reason I`ve heard for charging 1000yen to park was at Hotaka Bokujo in Gunma. On the ticket it says, "snow clearing fee." Hell, we didn`t see them clear no goddam snow!