OK so everywhere in Japan seems to have something, even if it's really pushing it.

What's your local speciality or something your area is famous for (food/drink/omiyage)? Doesn't have to be Japan. Proper stuff that you can really say it is true for, not the really weak links and things that are popular or available in tons of places.

I'll start. My area of Niigata is famous for:

- Uonuma koshihikari rice. The best in Japan (as if you needed telling) wink

014004000001.jpg

- Sasadango

sasadango.jpg

Well here in Yamanashi I'm sure most know that peaches and grapes are famous.

Those shumai above look good, my local super market here also stock shumai like those in the pic above, they are very tasty.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Hey Snowdude, have you been along to the Katsunuma Winery? I'm thinking about a day trip out there with my folks when they come out next week

It's alright - just basically a cheap piss up, with some cheap wine, with most of it being the sweet variety.

I do recommend the bbq on the terrace next door to the winery though.
Originally Posted By: big-will
The name sounds good, hint being the Winery bit. wink

Your parents ready for hot TB?!

yeah I've warned them......dunno if they'll ever be ready though!!

My mum is gonna have a fit when she hears the cicada's and if she sees a cockroach!! She doesn't like bugs!! biggrin

Yeah the Katsunuma winery is very famous, but I am not a wine drinker so no interest in going really, but for those into wine it would be worth a visit.

There are many small winery around here too that you may also wish to visit, you can do lots of free wine tasting too.

Sendai, my long time home is known for gyutan and it's super oishii!

Here in Hawaii Maui onions are quite good but I don't really know of other islands' "famous local products." I've heard Kaua'i has their manju.

Originally Posted By: Kintaro

Here in Hawaii Maui onions are quite good but I don't really know of other islands' "famous local products." I've heard Kaua'i has their manju.

Shaved ice brah!! lol
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Kintaro

Shaved ice brah!! lol

Oh god...I have a friend from Hawaii and he ends every sentence with "brah"

Shizuoka is also known for mikan. And Fujinomiya, Shizuoka is known for yakisoba.

Out of the MANY places I've lived in Japan, the only place I can't think of a single local specialty is Saitama.....maybe that's why it's nickmaned "dasai-tama."