I have been meaning to post these for ages, but this morning got round to it at last!

There's a small musuem at the base of the Nozawa Onsen resort, and it looks something like this inside.

Worth a visit if you are there I would say.

(It's where the "i" mark is in the top right part of the snowjapan map here.

iiyamadude_119.jpg

iiyamadude_118.jpg

iiyamadude_116.jpg

iiyamadude_115.jpg

iiyamadude_107.jpg

Thanks for the photos, will ceck it out sometime, but I'm

not sure how happy the museum would be with so many pics being shown.

Good point sand, I didn't think of that. I have taken some off and emailed SJ to ask them about this, perhaps they can ask the museum if they are ok with it or not.

Thanks.

That museum is definitely worth dropping in if you're in Nozawa. Only problem with it is that it could kill an hour or more of your snow time! Best to save it for a day when conditions just aren't up to snuff. doh

Well, Nozawa is one of several places that claim to be the ``birthplace'' of skiing in Japan. As I recall, Nozawa's claim is based on a visit by Hannes Schneider. I think Myoko says it had skiing earlier by some Austrian soldiers, and I believe Zao also makes a bid,

slap cheers kiss highfive

I would say very probably.

Actually the hill that is famous for that first ski is really tiny right close to Joestu city. Tiny tiny place. There's a statue. And I'm sure you can find beer too. wink