Can't for the life of me see any polarised views in this thread TB. There's some of the typical misinformation that Niseko lacks good terrain but that was cleared up quickly enough thumbsup lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not pointing the finger, just that its like people have to walk on egg shells if they mention 1 area or the other. The info can't be taken at face value of someones opinion, it's always construed as because they have "vested interest" in 1 of the areas. Its just a vibe I pick up when these threads appear and it gets a wee bit tiring. Both places are excellent areas that offer fantastic terrain and conditions.

nisekohakuba

You are right TB, they are both fab of course.

The fact is that unfortunately some people DO have agendas.

Some very clear, some less so.

And it's really their fault if there are any eggshells.

But I didn't really see it here in this thread though.... until you piped up with that! wink

Originally Posted By: SKI
You are right TB, they are both fab of course.

The fact is that unfortunately some people DO have agendas.
Some very clear, some less so.

And it's really their fault if there are any eggshells.

But I didn't really see it here in this thread though.... until you piped up with that! wink

just a vibe SKI, just a vibe!
Lets call it a pre-emptive strike wink

Thing is Mitch is planning on coming to Hokkaido and specifically Niseko and it looks like he may have got himself a job lined up here already. I'm just trying to help him meet up with the right people up this way. Are there bigger and steeper mountains in this world than Niseko he can ski? Sure but that doesn't really help him with that he has planned. Anyway I'm looking forward to heading out and watching him huck off some cliffs!

Even though you obviously work up there Go Native, you never come across as "having an agenda" like some people reek of having.

Well done, chap.

That's how to do it.

thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Thing is Mitch is planning on coming to Hokkaido and specifically Niseko and it looks like he may have got himself a job lined up here already. I'm just trying to help him meet up with the right people up this way. Are there bigger and steeper mountains in this world than Niseko he can ski? Sure but that doesn't really help him with that he has planned. Anyway I'm looking forward to heading out and watching him huck off some cliffs!

No I know GN, I wasn't targeting your posts. Of course Mitch needs info and you and Mike are the best placed to give that info for Niseko and Hokkaido in general, so are some of the Hakuba peeps about their area. Its not that that I mean. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive today, but it really would be good if the relevant ppl from either area were allowed to state their opinions without it being construed as being "in their self interest". There really hasn't been that here, its just I've seen threads like this before descend into tit for tat nonsense.

But, but, but, is it ok to get on their backs when it's a clearly loaded Cheesefest? Oh go on, it can be fun.

Click to reveal..
You started the silliness TB slap

Anyway, what's the deal, Mitch? You got a job lined up in Niseko or just coming for vacation? Do both. They're totally different. You'll have to fly thru Narita either way and it's easy to get to Nagano from Tokyo area. I'd recommend Hakuba over Niseko partly because I feel like it's under-represented here, but mainly because I think it's just better if you want to ski steep and deep terrain but don't listen to me. I live on Shikoku. Do both.

• SnowJapan Admin

Tell you what, we are more tired than anyone with having to put up with agendas. Unfortunately, there's a lot more goes on than what you can see on the surface.

For those on here with agendas, whether they are of the N/H variety or otherwise, we cordially invite you to... stay away!

The same applies for the few who seem to get off posting grand sweeping statements with the sole intent on causing us or other members problems.

He may not even need it, you know how shifty some of these foreign operators are! razz

Out of interest, GN, ..... are they?
Or, are there some who are?

wow! wish I'd kept my big mouth shut!!

Heat must be getting to me, but in all honesty I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular. I didn't say one cadre was or was not banging their drum.

shogunai

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
He may not even need it, you know how shifty some of these foreign operators are! razz

It's not been unknown for numerous places to hire people who don't have working visas. 1st season I worked here I didn't have a working visa!! Best leave it at that I think...
Whats the deal with your visa Mitch - confident you can get?

I'm hoping so. Right now it looks good. Just need to do a couple twists and ties. I am very unfamiliar with the process and could easily be overstating it. However, I am very driven to make it happen!

I appreciate all the advice and feel free to add more but please leave bickering to other topics. Some of this stuff I may take very seriously and I hope people giving advice are just as serious and not in a contest! Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate the help.

It's not been unknown for numerous places to hire people who don't have working visas. 1st season I worked here I didn't have a working visa!! Best leave it at that I think...

I have known many people who havent had visas in both Hakuba and Niseko. It seems pretty easy to get in the country on a 3 month tourist visa and score a job, then bugger off at the end, or make a visa run to Korea and come back. I wonder how those companies pull that off? Wouldnt the ward offices find out?!?!

I heard that there was a clamp down on the hiring of illegal workers in Niseko and that my former employer is "in jail". When I enquired further "in jail" was reduced to "he got arrested..." so if that's true then the visaless working in Niseko may have come to an end.

The tourism and adventure sports business will always have this problem. A rafting company in Minakami got busted using illegal staff after a rafter drowned. The company pretty much died that day and the owner pulled a runner.

Imagine what will happen at a ski resort if an illegal staff member has a serious car accient? It is bound to happen at some point.