Good news for people wanting to get between Nozawa Onsen and Myoko Kogen (via Madarao Kogen)

There is lots of talk locally that this next season there is going to be a new bus service that links up Nozawa and Myoko.

If it comes off, the route will be:

Nozawa > Togari > Madarao > Myoko

and the other way round of course

Myoko > Madarao > Togari > Nozawa

It will take close to 2 hours one way.

It doesn't seem to have been confirmed yet and there are no details to be shared but seems likely.

I hope it does happen though.

friend

Awesome to hear that Iiyama Dude, I have heard about the Nozawa Madarao part but didnt know about the Myoko bit. It will be great if it goes all the way to Myoko, even if it takes two hours it will still be a much better way to get there than all the changes that would otherwise be required.

• 1 month later...

Its reservation only, so I presume it must only run when needed. If there are no other folks on that day, maybe you could talk them into going when you want to. It's as good as free if you buy a lift ticket. If you're staying in Noz, it means you can try somewhere else for the day, albeit at an hour twenty each way for Madarao.

I wonder if they could get old dears onto it so they can go to another onsen. My MiL goes to Nozawa three times a year for the onsen, always by bus and train.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Yes, stops at Myoko & the Togari train station would make a BIG diff.

Do many people use the Togari train station? I know it's the nearest to Nozawa, but don't most people get the bus from Nagano? Just out of interest.

Do you mean that it will run when there are no passengers either on it or waiting at the other end? Its reservation only so you can't just jump on (Non-jobsworth drivers might let you though).

Biggest advantage of making reservations necessary = don't have to run it in time slots with no people. Otherwise more just admin and hassle for prospective passengers.

Yes that is what I mean.

Someone can "reserve" 15 minutes in advance, and if the bus isn't there......

This is coming from one of the guys I know who is involved in putting it together. I asked him. Thats what he told me.

Okay! A committee decision perhaps.

If its running anyway, I'd ditch the reservation thing and write this as big as possible on the main page of the website.

FREE WITH A LIFT TICKET

or

200YEN WITH A LIFT TICKET

or

however little extra it is

That might get a more positive response.

Yeah, that's how these things work. If its free like it appears to be without saying as much, someone else must be paying for it, and they deserve a say in what they're getting.

Always good to see people trying new things (assuming its not just spend more of other folks' taxes), so let's get that message out

FREE BUS!!!!! FREE BUS!!!!! FREE BUS!!!!! FREE BUS!!!!! FREE BUS!!!!!

That's the issue with the tickets on the Genki night shuttle in Hakuba, isn't it? I thought this might be different because the photo shows a regular looking Nagaden bus.

I didn't know where Madarao was so I just looked. 20km each way from Noz for free. Its further than Hakuba Central to Cortina.