Going to university/college or not

My brothers kids are now getting to the age where they are thinking of what to do in life.

Go to uni, get a degree?

Try to get a job?

It seems now that even graduates are having a real tough time getting jobs back in the UK and US. There's just not much out there. And coming out of college with huge debts. It all sounds pretty bleak.

Makes me realise how lucky I was going to uni when I did - didn't cost the earth, came out with no debt and had a few job offers at the end of it all.

Were things just so much easier back then, or was there a lot of luck.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things were in a way cheaper when I went through. Undergrad degree debt was minimal as HECS had just started, Masters cost me about $5K and the rest of my quals work has paid for.

Just a little perspective when I graduated it wasnt until 9 months later a job came up as in '92 there wasnt much calling for Environmental Scientists. Even then I worked 4 weeks straight in the middle of nowhere living in a dog box and doing 12hr days in the heat of north west Qld, then had a week off which was considered great at the time. It was a start and a welcome one and one I look back fondly on now. Not sure most kids would do the same these days.

Even though an education is a LOT more expensive these days its still in my not so humble opinion one of the best investments that can be made. The debt will be paid off and kids will earn a lot more on average over their life time then those who didnt get college degrees, well in most fields anyway. That education doesnt need to be at uni though, a trade can be just as good but Im finding a lot of the guys on the tools at my age were wishing they were sitting in office these days.

Obviously there are many exceptions to this and many self made men/women who have no qualifications so please take this with a grain or two of salt.

I did a lot of growing up throughout University. Made a lot of friends and had a great time. I wouldn't quite say I "found myself" but definitely a good deal of work in the right direction.

I think the connections you make are of vast importance and the knowledge is also a great benefit. Everyone should have an opportunity to expand their minds as much as I have been able to in Uni, especially in the US. It is pretty easy here to get loans that aren't too overbearing. Lots of low interest and no interest loans can be found and plenty of scholarships given out. I got a few from high school and sports.

In Australia there is a shortage of skilled tradesman and choosing a trade rather than going onto tertiary education can be a great choice financially especially if you're not the overly studious type. That said as Mitch points out there's a lot more to uni than just getting a qualification for a job. My uni years were a great experience and even though I have never had a job using my qualifications I'm very glad I did my degree. Gave me an understanding of the natural world around me that I would never have had otherwise.

Do the kids have any idea yet of the sort of thing they'd like to do?

What are they already good at? What are their interests? Just doing degrees that can end up in a high paid job is certainly no guarantee of happiness. They need to work out what kind of job they'd enjoy doing.

My sister didn't even complete secondary school but went into a sales career and became one of the most successful account executives for Yellow Pages in all of Australia. Earned more than I ever have!

I simply had no idea whatsoever what I wanted to do back then.

And I wanted to live away from home. evilgrin

No brainer.

Things do seem very different now, even simply the massive cost of going.

Hell I had no idea what I wanted to do even years after finishing my degree. Still kids these days seem to be a lot more career orientated than when I was growing up.

I was the same. Bailed out of year 11 and went surfing and working, went back next year and finsihed it and then year 12. Worked for 3 years chasing rocks in Qld then went and did a 4 year degree. By then I had it sorted what I wanted to do but that was a LOT later then when most kids need to make that decision. Must be hard.

MB if you are reading this how about your kids, isnt one of your cubs about to head off to uni?

I'd advise them to go to University IF the course they have in mind has a clear career path. I went because I didn't want to get a job, I studied Psychology because I thought it'd be interesting, but with no real path or plan in mind. It was interesting but it didn't make me want to take it further. Of course if I hadn't got my degree then i wouldn't have came out to Japan so I don't regret doing it, just I now look at my mates who are skilled tradesmen and see that they are earning a hell of a lot more than me.....they are of course working a hell of a lot more than me too...so it is a trade off.

What I would actually implore them to do is to take at least a year out and go travelling and see the world. i did this after University and it was the best year of my life.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I'd advise them to go to University IF the course they have in mind has a clear career path. I went because I didn't want to get a job, I studied Psychology because I thought it'd be interesting, but with no real path or plan in mind. It was interesting but it didn't make me want to take it further. Of course if I hadn't got my degree then i wouldn't have came out to Japan so I don't regret doing it, just I now look at my mates who are skilled tradesmen and see that they are earning a hell of a lot more than me.....they are of course working a hell of a lot more than me too...so it is a trade off.

What I would actually implore them to do is to take at least a year out and go travelling and see the world. i did this after University and it was the best year of my life.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking

I did winemaking (3 year degree), have spent 2 vintages plus a full year in the industry and I have realised that I don't actually care about what I do.

I suggest your brothers kids find some kind of work abroad scheme and find themselves before they commit three or more years of their life to one career path. It might sound interesting but that doesn't mean you'll love it.

Todays paper:

Graduates warned of record 70 applicants for every job

Class of 2010 told to consider flipping burgers or shelf stacking to build skills as they also compete with last year's graduates

Graduates are facing the most intense scramble in a decade to get a job this summer, as a poll of employers reveals the number of applications for each vacancy has surged to nearly 70 while the number of available positions is predicted to fall by nearly 7%.

The class of 2010 have been told to consider flipping burgers or stacking shelves when they leave university as leading firms in investment banking, law and IT are due to cut graduate jobs this year.

"Class of 2010 told to consider flipping burgers or shelf stacking to build skills"

That's almost funny. Shelf stacking.... to build skills!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
University has become too saturated now, too many person are going for no real reason except that they should go and peer pressure.

Definitely. I see a lot of this first hand. People who have literally no idea what they want and take random classes and major in things like Recreation and such. There are so many irrelevant majors out there and thus no longer having a college degree is of significance here. That is why I have decided to do either Masters or a PHD eventually since it has become so popular to get an undergrad degree and I have a genuine interest in what I study/and is relevant to a vast amount of jobs out there.

Good idea Mitch. It has got to the point where having just a degree is almost considered the most basic qualification to even apply for most jobs. Those with masters or doctorates definitely have the advantage. It does mean spending a hell of long time studying though. As much as I enjoyed uni I'd had enough after my completing my degree. Not going onto graduate studies though was the main reason I never got a job in the field I studied.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps

Class of 2010 told to consider flipping burgers or shelf stacking to build skills as they also compete with last year's graduates

I thought you needed a BA for that razz

Just coming to this thread now. The internet speed up here in Thredbo is dial-up ... same dongle in Canberra was almost as fast as my ADSL2+ at home. doh.

Interesting questions, and I think the important thing is to question, consider, examine and realize that Uni is not the Be all and End all.

I have a BA(Psych), but never worked as a Psychologist/pursued further qualification. It did help me land my first post Uni job prior to graduating as a Welfare Worker/Interpreter though. And I really understand how people think, different learning types and ways to get around people and their issues - when I can be bothered working it.

Papa on the other hand started a number if degree's ... beginning with engineering .. and never found anything that really ticked all the boxes for him, so he continued in the jobs that rolled into one another for him in fruit and vegies (which had been his part time job during high school). In the end he saw a niche that was not being well served, knew he could do it better and launched into business. Been very successful at it, and discovered he likes being the boss...he never liked people telling him what to do.

Now I face the challenges of Uni with my boys.

#1 started Uni this year (BSc - Computer Science and Pure Maths) - but he dropped out about a a month ago. Hated it. He has gone back to working in our business as he did last year, where he has acquired numerous skills and certificates...OH&S, forklift ticket etc. He is beginning training in a couple of weeks as a buyer. He might hate it, but he is about 5 years away from working out what he wants to actually do in my estimation.

#2 finishes high school this year.

He knows what he wants to do. He is heading to Niseko to do a snowboard instructors course, and he will then try and tee up work wherever he can to do back to back seasons - if nothing is available in instructing he will take liftie work. Eventually he wants to come back to Uni or Tafe....possibly Uni in another state or country ... and do Graphic Design (for which he has shown great talent).

Bottom line - it is a second chance system. If they don't go straight to Uni they can go later. As long as they are doing something and not sponging off Mum and Dad until they are 35 wink

ohhh...

And Aussie Uni is often close to home, not live in.

I much prefer the kick the kiddies out the door and have them look after themselves in a dorm with others that happens in the UK and USA. It helps those chickies that want to stay in the nest make a break.

It might have been better for #1 if he was on campus and enveloped in that culture instead of at home with younger brothers.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: RobBright
University has become too saturated now, too many person are going for no real reason except that they should go and peer pressure.

Definitely. I see a lot of this first hand. People who have literally no idea what they want and take random classes and major in things like Recreation and such. There are so many irrelevant majors out there and thus no longer having a college degree is of significance here. That is why I have decided to do either Masters or a PHD eventually since it has become so popular to get an undergrad degree and I have a genuine interest in what I study/and is relevant to a vast amount of jobs out there.

I agree that it has become saturated, but only specific courses. Business for example. Back in the UK and in Aus I actively promote the engineering industry at graduate and career fares. Trying to provide the young minds with the guidence and insight to the real world which I never had.

For the record I loved uni, well the parts I remember anyway.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Good idea Mitch. It has got to the point where having just a degree is almost considered the most basic qualification to even apply for most jobs. Those with masters or doctorates definitely have the advantage. It does mean spending a hell of long time studying though. As much as I enjoyed uni I'd had enough after my completing my degree. Not going onto graduate studies though was the main reason I never got a job in the field I studied.

And pretty soon now, we'll have burger flippers who know everything there is to know about nothing at all, and noone who understands the most simple things in life.

Being educated doesn't make you more or less able to understand the simple things in life JA. It certainly helps you to understand the more complex things though.

It amazes how many Aussies still have some weird attitude towards higher education. As though all highly educated people somehow lack the simple skills do deal with the real world. It's complete BS in my opinion.

I thought he meant the simple things in lifes experiences are also a great educator.

You might think it BS GN but 'highly educated' people, whom I prefer to call academics, do smack of weirdo more often than not worship . As far as just those with a 'higher education' I never noticed any stereo typical Aussie 'weird attitude'. Though as I infer from what JA states here, High School to Uni under graduates do often over estimate its real value in comparing it to life and work experience.

The gap year concept has merit in that respect. Live a little...