How can you improve your life?

I'll start,

I need to hold true to commitments more. Been flakey a lot lately with friends and such. Should make better use of my time.

Could also get out a bit more, past 5 days or so I have been going to bed very late and sleeping most of the day.

Saving money should be a priority. Especially with having to buy a ticket to Japan soon and pay off some student loans.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already been making a concerted effort on this one.

I already have my friends/money/life balance stuff in order.

What I don't do well is prioritize ME.

As Mum I tend to do for everyone else and there is little left (time/energy etc) for me. It is all too easy to not get any exercise because I am running kids to one or two sports every afternoon and on the weekends. It is all too easy to forget to eat properly and just grab stuff that maybe not the best for me because I am racing around.

So I have been putting me first recently.

Pre-Op - when the kids had Water Polo I used that time to swim laps (usually got a full hour in) ... shall try and get back in the pool today smile

Having the shoulder op itself has meant doing less for them, so that in itself was a "me" choice.

And this week I have been prioritizing my hour plus of exercise a day over the housework.

I need to maintain this focus and make this year all about "ME". [Don't worry the kids wont get left out - they will just have to learn they are NOT the center of the universe!]

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I have already been making a concerted effort on this one.

I already have my friends/money/life balance stuff in order.
What I don't do well is prioritize ME.

As Mum I tend to do for everyone else and there is little left (time/energy etc) for me. It is all too easy to not get any exercise because I am running kids to one or two sports every afternoon and on the weekends. It is all too easy to forget to eat properly and just grab stuff that maybe not the best for me because I am racing around.

So I have been putting me first recently.
Pre-Op - when the kids had Water Polo I used that time to swim laps (usually got a full hour in) ... shall try and get back in the pool today smile
Having the shoulder op itself has meant doing less for them, so that in itself was a "me" choice.
And this week I have been prioritizing my hour plus of exercise a day over the housework.

I need to maintain this focus and make this year all about "ME". [Don't worry the kids wont get left out - they will just have to learn they are NOT the center of the universe!]

Can't quite relate to the whole taking care of kids deal, but I have found ready made soups that don't contain a ton of preservatives and bread make a great quick meal. Also pasta/tofu refrigerated for a couple days can be heated quickly. Just fasten out that temptation and wait the extra 30 mins to eat. It's worth it if you do it everyday. Trust me. I'm not one that has to watch what I eat at all, but I do anyway. Good habits stay with you forever, just my 5 cents.

got to start saving some money each month instead of pissing it all against the wall.

make a determined effort to study and improve my Japanese.

become a slightly less Tubby Beaver

Finalise my land purchase in Hakuba and build a house that is low energy consuming and constructed from predominatly recycled materials.

To stop seeing the (percieved) faults in those I go out with and focus on their admirable qualities.

Eat healthy and other things just seem to fall in place. I think people often under estimate the importance of good diet.

Personally, the only way I can see improving my life any more is by picking up my guitar more often... I'm pretty satisfied with how things are going these days.

When my #1 is happy, I'm happy.

When she is having a hard time, I have a hard time.

Met her 4 years ago and that was the best thing that happened to me. She got sick and had to go back to germany. I sold the house and followed her cos nothing else mattered.

Nothing has changed about that.

Just don't have any more money and that's all right. I'm not about to go work my ass off.

Getting outta germany and back to Oz or Japan will improve my life for sure.

Growing veggies and fruit, having animals around and people to play music with will improve my life again.

I love cooking and eating with her. Today is another warm sunny day, gotta get out of the house.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
When my #1 is happy, I'm happy.
When she is having a hard time, I have a hard time.
Met her 4 years ago and that was the best thing that happened to me. She got sick and had to go back to germany. I sold the house and followed her cos nothing else mattered.
Nothing has changed about that.
Just don't have any more money and that's all right. I'm not about to go work my ass off.
Getting outta germany and back to Oz or Japan will improve my life for sure.
Growing veggies and fruit, having animals around and people to play music with will improve my life again.
I love cooking and eating with her. Today is another warm sunny day, gotta get out of the house.

sounds like a perfectly happy scenario to me

Far from perfect scenario, Mitch.

We had the best times in the beginning and the worst you cannot imagine.

Mental health, say no more.

Now we try and find happiness in small things, day at a time.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Far from perfect scenario, Mitch.
We had the best times in the beginning and the worst you cannot imagine.
Mental health, say no more.
Now we try and find happiness in small things, day at a time.

I understand very well smile you sound like a good person.

I have decided to become a more tolerant person - it has actually been quite an easy undertaking.

Basically I look at something someone is doing which I usually would find a fault in, and then I reason to myself why they might do that thing or say that thing, whatever.

I.e. Negative hurtful me says: That guy is so fat, and look at him stuffing his face with hamburgers, lol.
New me says "Why" - Perhaps he has low self esteem, maybe he just loves food more than anything, maybe he has come to terms with his weight and lives for the moment, maybe he is still reconciling childhood obesity issues and is binging.

Has come in handy for reconciling my mum and stepsister after about 2 years of hatred. I said a few things to my mum and she was the first on our side to go and see step sisters new baby thanks to that smile

It also helps me to think about myself more constructively, rather than negatively.

It's also helping my fiancee and I resolve some major communication issues we have been going through!! Yay us

Quitting my job is going to be hugely good for me! I can't wait smile roll on Dec!

besides that, eat healthier (though not quitting any foods whatsoever), keep up my gym routine, be at peace with myself come wedding time, get better at skiing, work on the house, cook every night

you're more likely to comfort eat to try and make you feel better but it just keeps you in a downward spiral...you get more depressed cos your fat so you eat more to feel better and so it goes on

Originally Posted By: thursday
don't buy that one. You eat excessively 'cso you have low self control.

an example of someone who doesn't understand body image issues whatsoever wink that's ok thursday, I'm sure there's other stuff you do understand
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Eat healthy and other things just seem to fall in place. I think people often under estimate the importance of good diet.

Personally, the only way I can see improving my life any more is by picking up my guitar more often... I'm pretty satisfied with how things are going these days.

Anytime you're up for a jam buddy. I've been playing lots of live shows recently. Guitar is goooood!!

You guys play, cool. I recently went out and bought a bunch of effects to replace my old multi-effect thing so motivation is high at the mo and the guys I'm playing with are really good. Lots of fun. thumbsup

my life could be better if I had a decent left shoulder.

That's it - I yearn for nothing else, except to be the best husband, son, brother, and in the future (hopefully) father I can be.

I read "First They Killed My Father" by Loung Ung. It made me realise how good everything is in my sheltered life (even when its going bad..) Still plenty of improvements to make but if they dont get made then it's not too bad as it is.

That's pretty much the exact opposite effect of buying lotto tickets dreaming of how you would change your stink life if you won and then being jelious of the person who did win.