Expressway charges changing again > ETC = worthless

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it's on, starting December 1st, 2011, going through March 31st, 2012.   Final version (Nov. 2011) of map of Tohoku expressways that will be free from 2011.12.1 through 2012.3.31: Blue-green:

There was a story in today's paper about plans to reduce or eliminate some of the highway discounts.

Plans not finalized yet, but current proposal includes reducing the 50% discount on weekends, holidays and late night to 30%, and eliminating the 30% discount on weekdays outside of rush hours.

Changes would take effect from April 1st, 2014.

Hurray for Abenomics!

Oh, hold on, wait...

Hurray indeed: people will see highway tolls becoming more expensive -- especially relative to their shrinking paychecks -- which will, by reverse psychology, make driving on the highway seem even more valuable and desirable, thus inspiring ever more driving to distant recreational locations, resulting in copious economic stimulation throughout the land.

Fiendishly clever, wish I'd thought of it. But I didn't, and that is why it is called Abenomics, not Metabonomics.

There was a meltdown?! :veryshocked:

I want to know where that goo is. And, actually, is it goo? And it's green right, as goo often is. Or pink.

A true follower, pie-eater

He inspires it, BagOfCrisps. What can you do?

Looks like some of the local holiday discount reductions will be put off for 3 months, so as not to coincide with the raising of the consumption tax April 1st. The rest of the reductions, however, are still set for April 1st.

Oh, and now they are thinking of increasing the discount for trucks.

So the highways will become more expensive for ordinary cars, but cheaper for trucks.

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but how many folks who've converted to 1 numbers put the back seats back in?

Does it void your insurance etc. if you do it? Can you get away with saying its "temporary"?

Conversion to a 1 number is taking the back seats out of a minivan to register it as as a van for supposed commercial use.

With older minivans, taking the back seats out is usually enough for the car to qualify as a goods van.

For a car with a three litre engine, the road tax (jidousha-zei) is about 40,000 a year less for the same car if its registered as a commercial van.

Shaken on a commercial vehicle is yearly, but the taxes at shaken time are about half the two year shaken for regular cars.

My LandCruiser was originally registered as an "8" number because it had a factory installed camping set/bed in the back. Way back when..... 8 number taxes were cheap so all the LC guys took out the third row of seats and put in cheap camp sets and got their trucks changed over from 3 to 8. About 10 years ago or so the 8 number taxes went WAY up so everyone did the 1 number re-registration which has the cheapest tax rates. But, shaken is every year, insurance is little more expensive and you have to put welded hinges in your back seats because the second row of seats on a 1 number cannot recline. After the shaken we just take them off again.

I have to do shaken every year and it's a bit cheaper but only about 20%......not half Mr. Wiggles.....I wish.. I think in the long run it may be a wee bit cheaper to have the 1 number but up until now elevated 1 number highway fees ate up any savings. I'm interested to see how much of a supposed discount we are going to get. I expect the government to make up those discounts somewhere else like raising the price of diesel or some other "gyousha" tax.

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but how many folks who've converted to 1 numbers put the back seats back in?

Does it void your insurance etc. if you do it? Can you get away with saying its "temporary"?

Well, I would say no one. Most want those heavy, goofy 3rd row of seats out of there. Assuming you did though... having an accident in a truck with 7 people in it that is only registered for 5 or 3 (1 number) will automatically void your insurance...(of course).

I took the 3rd row of seats out of my previous 5 number Prado (9 passenger) and was told to be careful of the cops should you have an accident. It could affect the outcome of a settlement. Basically, any modification out of the specs of registration is a no-no. BUT....8000k + HID bulbs, LED tail lights and markers, blow off valves...etc...Everyone does it though... :sj-lol:

Thanks for all that Chris. Especially the detail. My idea was whether you could temporarily put the car into a 1 number config just to save on the tax. The numbers I got were for an E50 Elgrand, which is 3.3L and 58,000 for the jidoshazei. Off the info I found this morning online ( :friend: ), with only the front seats, it goes down to 8,000. WIth the front and second row of seats, it goes down to 17,000. You're totally right about the other non-shaken mods though. Possibly the dodgiest is some of wheel/tyre sets people put on their cars.

Ya..my shaken is about 80,000 but my 4x4 shop has to put on smaller tires (mine stick out about 1 cm beyond the fender), the second seat brackets, headlights and tail lights, and some other stuff ....all to pass shaken. They only charge me 5000 yen to do all that work which is pretty reasonable when I consider how much time and effort it would take me to do all that in my driveway.