Expressway charges changing again > ETC = worthless

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it's on, starting December 1st, 2011, going through March 31st, 2012.   Final version (Nov. 2011) of map of Tohoku expressways that will be free from 2011.12.1 through 2012.3.31: Blue-green:

ETC = better for environment, better for economy (big JP manufacturers make ETC machines in car and at toll gates)

Now everyone has switched over, goal is achieved so no need to keep subsidising it.

Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
The big point here is the fact that they seem to be going back on their promise to make expressways 'free', so soon after making that promise as well. Not even delaying that, but actually effectively making them more expensive.

If you have a 20km/l rated car, its 1000 yen max all the time. Even if you don't, it's 2000 yen max all the time. You don't have to pay for an etc even.

How is that "actually effectively more expensive" than now? It's only 1000 yen max two days a week. Other days Hakuba-Nagoya is 5000 yen one-way. Further is more.
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
The big point here is the fact that they seem to be going back on their promise to make expressways 'free', so soon after making that promise as well. Not even delaying that, but actually effectively making them more expensive.

If you have a 20km/l rated car, its 1000 yen max all the time. Even if you don't, it's 2000 yen max all the time. You don't have to pay for an etc even.

How is that "actually effectively more expensive" than now? It's only 1000 yen max two days a week.

How is that "actually effectively more expensive"?
Well, it isn't if you have a 20km/l rated car.
But I have a 4 door car that isn't rated so.
So, even my poor maths abilities tell me that 2000 yen is actually double what 1000 yen is.

Really? My choice? veryshocked Mighty glad you told me, I might have missed it.

Changing car to change my expressway charges is rather an expensive solution.

Unfortunately, most of the time I have to work Monday to Friday. I believe there are a fair few people who do so. I am also well aware that the world does not stop.

confused

• 3 weeks later...

Any car that has an engine smaller than most motorbikes is shite in my opinion. Sure they are good for fuel consumption but that's it. Horrible things to drive unless you're happy with max speeds barely above 60km/hr.

Fuel consumption is not that good on a k car according to my old manager who has a toyota avensis and a k van. He reckons it is better on his white plate! the revving on them doesnt sound very efficient.