Looking for something to protect the face from the elements.

Really it's for my Missus, but if there's anything good out there I'd love one. My experience with this is :

1) bandana - just turns to a solid plate of ice.

2) balaclava - I want to wear my helmet so no good.

3) Scott motorcross face shield - man, that's 70's

Something that doesn't fogg the goggles, doesn't turn into ice, cuts off wind, and not ruff on the skin.

I have experienced NZ south island cold wind. That feels like it cuts. After that, I'm ok at the moment, but it does get windy so ... wink

I have a half face neoprene mask. It's really good and better in my opinion than a neck warmer. I always found with a neck warmer that if you pulled it up over your nose it would easily fog my goggles when breathing out through my nose. The neoprene mask covers the top of the nose and seems to stop the fogging issue.

It was much appreciated this last week when we frequently had windchill temps below -30 and those that weren't covering up were getting frostbite.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
>2) balaclava - I want to wear my helmet so no good.

I dont wear one, but I see my mates using a balaclava and helmets.

I just use a neck warmer and have it pulled up to my nose.

I wear a clava and sometimes with a helmet, works perfectly. Depends on the thickness/material I guess. Some have a thinner liner above where it meets the helmet that work fine.

I prefer the Polar Buff... or a regular buff sometimes in combination with a neckwarmer if it is FREEZING. Works for me because I don't like anything thick, constricting or immovable across my face. I can breathe through this easily and also adjust it up and down easily.

polar_buff.jpg

However I did buy a light facemask thingy in Tokyo that I often used as well - on warmer days by itself. It velcroed around the back of my head, had little elastic loops to hook over my ears to keep it up and had two sections so there was an opening for your mouth and nose if need be. It was good. But on cold days I needed the buff underneath it.

Thanks guys, finally I figured out...

1) I'm no Cousin It or ZZTop

2) I sweat a lot from my head confused even when I eat hot stuff so clava is out, too warm. Helmets are already warm enough.

3) I breath thru my mouth a lot (hard workout for me) so that's why it's fogging my goggles.

Never though about a neck warmer. Worth a try. I'll get one.

I ordered a mask covering half the face and part of neck, breath holes, neoprene with fleece lining for really cold windy days.

cheers

I've got a smart cool balaclava and use it with my helmet. Great for staying warm in general. But it's actually a bit too big, so it doesn't work well to keep my face warm, most of the time I don't bother with it. Getting the neoprene mask seems like the way to go, might have to give that a try as well.