• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that IS a real possibility. That she would get better marks because of the outfit. Bugger all to do with skill, more to do with the perception of the judges.

In case no-one noticed, I am not a fan of "pretty sports", where the result is a calculation based on any number of judges and their perception of the artistic/technical merit of the performer. (and, I note that these people are referred to as performers rather than as sports-people, is that significant, I wonder?)

Get these pretty "sports" out of the olympics, I say! Get back to sports where the result is beyond doubt! If it can be measured (ie faster, first, higher, longer, more goals, whatever, then it's in! Else it goes into the "pretty sport world games".

horse

Yeah, me too! Pretty stuff (usually inddors) is easier for the TV coverage. Still a pity, it is sooo easy to corrupt the judging process.

Originally Posted By: JA
Unfortunately, that IS a real possibility. That she would get better marks because of the outfit. Bugger all to do with skill, more to do with the perception of the judges.

In case no-one noticed, I am not a fan of "pretty sports", where the result is a calculation based on any number of judges and their perception of the artistic/technical merit of the performer. (and, I note that these people are referred to as performers rather than as sports-people, is that significant, I wonder?)

Get these pretty "sports" out of the olympics, I say! Get back to sports where the result is beyond doubt! If it can be measured (ie faster, first, higher, longer, more goals, whatever, then it's in! Else it goes into the "pretty sport world games".

horse

I tend to agree JA but how far are we going to go. Right now there are those that say the "judged" sports ought to go and also the group of critics with the "is it even a sport" saying curling shouldn't be in the games. And then there are others who don't want womens softball or womens hockey because there are really only a few competitive countries.

I like the variety even if some of the events don't really appeal to me.

Simple answer, Chris.

IF it can be measured objectively (ie higher, more points, closer to the target, faster, shorter time, etc)

AND there are a minimum of 5000 competitors in the world, it's IN!

Else it heads off to the pretty world games!

Originally Posted By: JA
Simple answer, Chris.

IF it can be measured objectively (ie higher, more points, closer to the target, faster, shorter time, etc)
AND there are a minimum of 5000 competitors in the world, it's IN!

Else it heads off to the pretty world games!

That would certainly thin out the events.

She would have had to make a mess of it to not win, she just looks so silky smooth effortless out there.

Ando in 5th. Oh dear. Is it true she's 'having a relationship' with her coach?

Hey JA, maybe you've been over this before but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread wink

How do you feel about sports like ski jumping where there is a combination of distance and style considered? Does distance trump all other considerations?

Some fantastically bullshit comments coming in

"If Kim wasn't there, Mao would get gold!!!"

"This is Mao's preparation for Gold in 4 years time - when she will definitely win."

lol

Kim was really sending it out there. Mao's performance was subpar. Aside from the fact that she made one or two minor mistakes on the jumps, she was uninspiring on the stuff in between too imo.

The Canadian who got bronze is a huge story too since her Mom died suddenly a couple of days ago. Some are saying the judges may have been swayed abit by the circumstances.

Originally Posted By: ger
Kim was really sending it out there. Mao's performance was subpar. Aside from the fact that she made one or two minor mistakes on the jumps, she was uninspiring on the stuff in between too imo.

The Canadian who got bronze is a huge story too since her Mom died suddenly a couple of days ago. Some are saying the judges may have been swayed abit by the circumstances.

Bronze for mother. Silver for father?
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Hey JA, maybe you've been over this before but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread wink

How do you feel about sports like ski jumping where there is a combination of distance and style considered? Does distance trump all other considerations?

In my olympics, yep, exactly! Style is simply a way to allow the judges to think they are important (in some cases too important!) and the distance should be THE determining factor. What are the "style" points for, anyway?
... to stop the guys acting stupid? (they'd waste energy and aerodynamics if they did)
... to make sure they did a telemark landing? (for what purpose?)

distance is everything!
Originally Posted By: brit-gob
What is the meaning of 入賞 ??
Are you still that if you come 8th?

Not a clue, brit, don't read kanji myself. Not sure you meant that to refer to me, though.