• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Um, can we talk about how awesome the halfpipe was?

Yep it was rad. I don't really ever watch pipe, but was in awe of it.
one - the dudes were all super competitive but seemed to be relatively relaxed about it.
Oyuki, you seem pretty into pipe/competitive riding, so correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following:
Holy moly, how big did Shaun White go? I didn't know how much hype there was, but he went huge! Super stylish, smooth and bigger than everyone else.
It was a bummer the Japanese riders blew their second runs, but I didn't think they were nuts enough to place anyway. It seems like inverted tricks, especially those double corks things, are now the norm. Watching dudes do them back to back, and one of them switch was mental.
I thought the Finnish dude who came second was oveerscored - the Swiss guy (Ipod...?) went huge in his first run and I thought that deserved a place, but then I'm just a punter watching it on TV. I'm sure the judges got it right.
And finally, how come the Japanese guys didn't have the same uniforms? And some guys were riding blank boards while others were rocking sponsor stickers. I thought the IOC had a blackout ban on sponsors?

I loved watching the Half Pipe. I am just in awe of what they can do. White was unbelievable - seemed a class above everyone else, not that I am any expert!

I also ooohhhed and aaahhhed when they landed those things switch.

In other Olympic news:

...seems the bobsledders (2 man) were having a rough run at training runs today - quite a few crashed. They are using the same track that the Luge accident happened on. Hope the competition runs without any further nasty accidents.

Definitely great to watch the half-pipe.

How come there seem to be less at ski resorts these days? Or am I just not looking?

About the uniforms - is the US team uniform baggy 'jeans' that don't quite reach your arse?

Curious that the Japanese staff seem to have a uniform but not the competitors.

Speed skate "Ready" --- sounds like a Kraftwerk sample lol

You should make a speed skate ready mix SKI. It'll be the Crazy Frog song for the new decade. You'll make a fortune.

How come snowboard has a half pipe event, but all the ski events are time/distance based? Is there a push from within the ski community to have a half pipe event?

Shaun White is such a class act. He could have walked down the center of the half pipe after everyone had already finished because he had the gold all wrapped up. Instead he floored it! Gotta love that attitude. I wish they had that event every day!

The IOC definitely seems to be against sponsors that don't directly support the olympics I suppose. They make the US goalkeeper Miller cover a slogan on his helmet that says 'Miller time' because it's also a reference to Miller beer... but every skier who makes it to the bottom of the hill is always seen smiling beside their K2 skis (or whatever). What's up with that?

i was reading somewhere that just before and during the olympics, companies can't promote athletes that will be in the olympics. this is to 'protect' the expensive olympic sponsorship deals. apparently, there's no ads with the big name riders etc in magazines. not sure how true that is though.

in the snowboard half pipe, it seemed that through the heats and semis no riders were rocking the sponsor stickers, except on helmets and goggles, but in the final they were all holding up the base of the boards, and a bunch of guys even had stickers and graphics on the decks. i couldn't care less either way, just wondering what the deal is

Shaun was in Niseko a couple of seasons back and came down to Kutchan one night for a skateboard session at the Loaf Lounge. I went along and got to have a quick chat with him and some of the other guys travelling with him. Was a great night. Was such a laid back guy you'd never have known he's the best in the whole world at something.

i think alot of the are wearing headphones mamabear. it's what the cool kids do.

man, what pressure. dropping into you second run and pulling it out of the bag. it would have been interesting if some of the other riders hadn't crashed, as they were going very big too, but that's besides the point. aussie tv is replaying her win on loop at the moment

Originally Posted By: spook

Oyuki, you seem pretty into pipe/competitive riding, so correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following:
Holy moly, how big did Shaun White go? I didn't know how much hype there was, but he went huge! Super stylish, smooth and bigger than everyone else.
It was a bummer the Japanese riders blew their second runs, but I didn't think they were nuts enough to place anyway. It seems like inverted tricks, especially those double corks things, are now the norm. Watching dudes do them back to back, and one of them switch was mental.
I thought the Finnish dude who came second was oveerscored - the Swiss guy (Ipod...?) went huge in his first run and I thought that deserved a place, but then I'm just a punter watching it on TV. I'm sure the judges got it right.
And finally, how come the Japanese guys didn't have the same uniforms? And some guys were riding blank boards while others were rocking sponsor stickers. I thought the IOC had a blackout ban on sponsors?

Actually, i don't see much style in most of Shauns tricks. He really is like Tony Hawk in that sense, he does amazing technical stuff, but doesn't tweak it or style it much, like his first air in the pipe. Just a tucked melon, instead of a stretched-out method like the other guys. It was big tho.

Too bad about Kokubo too, he was tweaking the pant off those McTwists. Aono tho, he didn't have much of a chance sisnce i don't think he got inverted once.

And it was nice to see so many kids there doing back-to-back double corks, they must have trained so intensely to get them in such a short period of time. I was especially suprisd to see the french dude doing them on a reverse camber board, everyone says they don't have that much edge hold in the pipe, but he was sending it.

ger- The Mctwist comes from a guy in the 80's called Mike McGill, who did it on a skateboard.

SKI- I liked the US uniforms, they were a homage to the early 90's with the denim and flannel. Nothing too flashy, not like Ryo 'Snowboard Fashion Vomited on Me' Aono's stuff. The Japanese kids were evidently allowed to wear their sponsors stuff, however horrible.

I thought the French team's moustaches were classy.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
What is the deal with Kelly Clark and the iPod?

"Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out ..."
She's a blonde, right? OOPs, just checked ... not even a single blonde hair in sight. Ah, well!