One of the closest resorts from my house, Joetsu Kokusai is not somewhere I go to that often. I just prefer Hakkai-san and Maiko.

JK gets some stick from some people because of the lift system. It does often seem slow and frustratingly laid out. But there are ways to enjoy Joetsu Kokusai. I'd recommend that when you go there, concentrate on one area.

The resort covers a very wide area and there are a few connecting lifts that are basically taking you from one area to another - over almost flat areas. I would either stick to the Osawa/Atema area which is the left hand side of the resort as you look at the mountain from the base, or stay in the main area in front of the hotel. If you do that, the frustration of the connecting lifts is largely reduced and you can spend more time riding. Perhaps spend half a day in one area and the rest of the day in the other. But if you set out to try and cover the whole resort in a day, you'll end up feeling like you are hardly getting any skiing in and you're taking some kind of "lift scenic tour"! Admiteddly a very pretty tour as there's lots of trees up there.

So, lots of tree photos. I like trees.

muikabochi_2079.JPG

Centleisure Maiko in the background

muikabochi_2084.JPG

muikabochi_2091.JPG

muikabochi_2090.JPG

muikabochi_2089.JPG

muikabochi_2088.JPG

Background resorts: Centleisure Maiko (left), Kandatsu (centre, just about see it), Yuzawa Kogen (top right)

muikabochi_2080.JPG

muikabochi_2085.JPG

muikabochi_2093.JPG

It might not look it on the photos, but yes it was fairly busy though I suppose that is expected on a holiday. Perhaps 5 minutes wait for the main quad in the hotel area. I prefer the Osawa/Atema area.