• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing - just because the docs say someone will die it doesn't necessarily mean that will happen. Be careful of believing a death sentence if it comes from someone outside of yourself as anything is possible. My sister is living proof of that. I don't know your friend's illness but my sister was supposed to die twice from brain cancer, docs had no hope for her and a year later she has no detectable cancer in her at all, and the docs are amazed. She still has a long road to recovery but it never occurred to her that she would die from it, she had the belief and will to get thru it.

I can't say what will happen in your friend's case but I just wanted to say that the docs aren't always right.

Originally Posted By: sunrise
One thing - just because the docs say someone will die it doesn't necessarily mean that will happen. Be careful of believing a death sentence if it comes from someone outside of yourself as anything is possible. My sister is living proof of that. I don't know your friend's illness but my sister was supposed to die twice from brain cancer, docs had no hope for her and a year later she has no detectable cancer in her at all, and the docs are amazed. She still has a long road to recovery but it never occurred to her that she would die from it, she had the belief and will to get thru it.

I can't say what will happen in your friend's case but I just wanted to say that the docs aren't always right.

Very wish words indeed Sunrise!

My brother went through a similar event. He developed throat cancer and was told to go home and spend as much time with his family as possible as there was nothing that could be done for him. He went onto a mega healthy diet, all organic (which was a huge step for someone who loves a drink or 10), we told him to stay positive until we could get maybe a 2nd and 3rd opinion. They operated and removed the lump and he had to have radiation but that is nearly 6 years ago and he is still here driving us all insane friend

I'm so happy to hear about your sister, I can only hope something like that will happen and I am as optimistic as they come but in reality there is pretty much no chance he will live and when I asked his parents to give me the cold hard facts and truth they told me the doctors said that it was a no chance thing. It's really hard but we have sort of accepted it.

Believe me I have been in these situations before. I was told my dad was going to die at age 9 with a severe heart infection and for the most painstaking stressful 2 weeks of my life I thought he was going to, but he recovered and is in pretty good spirits today. My friends illness is not so hopeful though. He has some sort of malignant leukemia that isn't going to turn around and miraculously disappear. I try not to sound pessimistic around him but it's very hard when the doctor legitimately says there is no chance of survival. It's so hard because I want to remain hopeful but I have had so many people I know die of cancer and it's so painful to get your hopes up on recovery. I really just want to take it day by day and just show him the best week when he comes out to visit me when I go back to UT.
Quote:
I want to remain hopeful but I have had so many people I know die of cancer and it's so painful to get your hopes up on recovery.

what? You're a twenty something right? What kinda place you live at?

I don't know anyone with cancer or a terminal illness.

Sounds like you live in a sheltered existence thursday.

I had a mate who was rather concerned about his parents ill health that he organized a full check up for them and included himself. Found out he was the one with the health problem and died after a few month. He was about 30.

There is a bit of truth to this - good people go early.

Wish they stay longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that Jynxx.

Great to hear about your brother Snowhuntress, I know other people who have come back from death sentences too, and thanks guys for the well wishes re my sister.

Mitch - it's true that your friend might well die, but then again, the docs are only going on statistics and people don't always fit the bill. I can't say what will happen to your friend especially if things don't look good, but that being said I just don't believe in automatically believing someone has to die just cos the docs believe it so. People are more than statistics.

If your friend is interested in doing something to fight his illness, check out this place - a very progressive and supportive centre for cancer (and I assume leukemia too). Run by a very forward-thinking oncologist http://simontoncenter.com/index.html . I'm sure there are other places like this one.

Sorry to hear that Jynxx.

Great to hear about your brother Snowhuntress, I know other people who have come back from death sentences too, and thanks guys for the well wishes re my sister.

Mitch - it's true that your friend might well die, but then again, the docs are only going on statistics and people don't always fit the bill. I can't say what will happen to your friend especially if things don't look good, but that being said I just don't believe in automatically believing someone has to die just cos the docs believe it so. People are more than statistics.

If your friend is interested in doing something to fight his illness, check out this place - a very progressive and supportive centre for cancer (and I assume leukemia too). Run by a very forward-thinking oncologist http://simontoncenter.com/index.html . I'm sure there are other places like this one.

Thank you so much! I will look at that site. He is in very good hands though, very good hands. At this point I am trying to remain as optimistic as I can. We only talk on skype right now because he is a ways away. However, it's really taking its toll. I can tell he is getting weaker and such. It's very tragic and I make sure I always have a smile on for him. I just don't want to let my guard down is all. There's always room for hope though, and I have lots of it.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I fly in Sat night and fly back on the 2nd.
Ping one of the admins on here to get your PMs working and I'll send you my email addy.

Hope you have a good Christmas!

Just in case they don't get working, my cell phone is 603-312-6959 just give me a ring anytime.

wow, if it didnt cost me an arm and a leg Id be ringing you in the middle of the night just to wake you up, prank calls, etc... biggrin
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I fly in Sat night and fly back on the 2nd.
Ping one of the admins on here to get your PMs working and I'll send you my email addy.

Hope you have a good Christmas!

Just in case they don't get working, my cell phone is 603-312-6959 just give me a ring anytime.

wow, if it didnt cost me an arm and a leg Id be ringing you in the middle of the night just to wake you up, prank calls, etc... biggrin

just hang up razz

Thank you so much! I will look at that site. He is in very good hands though, very good hands. At this point I am trying to remain as optimistic as I can. We only talk on skype right now because he is a ways away. However, it's really taking its toll. I can tell he is getting weaker and such. It's very tragic and I make sure I always have a smile on for him. I just don't want to let my guard down is all. There's always room for hope though, and I have lots of it.

Good for you! And good your friend is in good hands. I hope he does get in touch with some docs who view things in similar ways to those on that link I sent. I'm sure he must be emotionally worn down and could probably use emotional support from people like those guys who are trained for it. And - not just him, but for those around him too! It must be hard on everyone (including you).

Take care and good luck.
  • 4 weeks later...

Good for you! And good your friend is in good hands. I hope he does get in touch with some docs who view things in similar ways to those on that link I sent. I'm sure he must be emotionally worn down and could probably use emotional support from people like those guys who are trained for it. And - not just him, but for those around him too! It must be hard on everyone (including you).

Take care and good luck.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Unfortunately, early this morning he passed away. I got to talk to him last night, one of the more difficult things I have ever had to do. Not sure why I am conveying so much via online message board, but it's a good outlet at least. RIP Brian. Always like a brother.

Mitch,

I am very sorry for your loss :(

Sometimes it is easier to vent on a message board (or via PM) than it is to talk with people close to you face to face. Believe me - done a lot of it myself this week (thanks JA). Don't feel bad about that.

May you, his friends and family be comforted by knowing you had the privilege of sharing his short but special life with him.

((HUG))

sadface

Recently been a very sad and shocking story with one of my friends. Well it was about 3 months ago when the person involved died. My friend, who is fine, says that his thinking about 'life in general' has changed forever.

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I lost my father and my uncle (who was like a 2nd father to me) both to cancer. Certainly changed my outlook on life and played a major role in me selling up everything in Aus and moving here. I realised life can be way too short to wait to do the things that really make you happy.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Sorry to hear that Mitch. I lost my father and my uncle (who was like a 2nd father to me) both to cancer. Certainly changed my outlook on life and played a major role in me selling up everything in Aus and moving here. I realised life can be way too short to wait to do the things that really make you happy.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

GN, I am very sorry to hear that. I had a similar situation a few years back where basically my father in the winter (uncle also) passed away from lung cancer.

At the same time I'm very happy for you and I'm sure they are too knowing that they had such a good impact on your life. I know my two experiences are going to once the grieving is done. I think that if you can directly impact someone's life so much for the better before you pass (which he did for me) that you have made the most of life. Certainly you gain precedence over someone who has imposed a book of stories on the world as the meaning of life. I know for me, just knowing him has made my life more fun and for the long amount of time I knew him I saw him frown only a few times. That's more than I can say about most people I met.

Although he may not have been an important business man, politician, etc...I think this quote still applies.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"