• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
the gaijin nod.......why are you looking at me and why are you saying "alright?!" like we know each other just because we are both foreigners!!??

You'll love this then TB. I went to school near the San Francisco area and we'd often go clubbing there on the weekends. SF has a large asian population and some of the clubs we'd go to are de facto Asian clubs. One time I was seriously the only white person there...until another white guy walked up to me and literally gave me a high five and said "alright another white guy!" biggrin

Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
The Yanks might call you a Limey

I'm American and have no idea what that means.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
even though I am not Japanese, I find the word "Jap" quite offensive.

That gets right up my nose. You will be called a Brit People from Aus & Nz will be called aussies & Kiwis.The Yanks might call you a Limey.The list goes on and on.And what really gets up my nose is people saying Paki is racist. Its bloddy short for Pakistani veryangry

rollabout tell that to a bunch of Pakis standing outside a cornershop in Birmingham
No it isn't, not in the UK. It is generally used in a derogatory way.

What do you mean." No it isn,t" and then say it is used in a derogatory way. It all depends on which context you put it in. If you call someone a paki B@@@@@d yes.But if you say I am just going to the paki shop on the corner no, or I have a paki friend. I think the people from the Indian sub continent are getting oversensitive.

"And Brit, Aussies and Kiwi have never been used as racial slurs."

Of course not neither paddy, jock, taf, brummies, saverner (as we say in the north.)and there is always the scouser, of course. This is my point. We all call each other by shortened names and don,t make a fuss.

i may find the Japanese practice of making long line ups even longer because people refuse to ride up wit people they don't know offensive to the brotherly spirit of snow-sliding (and borderline unbearable on a powder day).

Whether or no society at large deems it offensive, i feel it. Thus it is, to me.

I'm sure there are some thick-skinned Pakistani people who may not be offended by the term 'Paki', just as there are many that are. Offensiveness is always case-specific. Thats why the original poster asked whay do YOU find offensive, not what society finds offensive.

What do you mean." No it isn,t" and then say it is used in a derogatory way. It all depends on which context you put it in. If you call someone a paki B@@@@@d yes.But if you say I am just going to the paki shop on the corner no, or I have a paki friend. I think the people from the Indian sub continent are getting oversensitive.

"And Brit, Aussies and Kiwi have never been used as racial slurs."

Of course not neither paddy, jock, taf, brummies, saverner (as we say in the north.)and there is always the scouser, of course. This is my point. We all call each other by shortened names and don,t make a fuss.

You have to be either tongue-in-cheek or simply just dumb?

Ok go up to 'someone from the Indian sub-continent' and say 'Hello Paki, how are you today?'and see what reaction you get. Go on, do it and post a video too so we can laugh at you.

Comparing a recognized racial slur to something like Aussie just eludes reasoning. Would you call someone black, a 'niggar', because in your context you meant it to be 'nice'.

Apologies if I have offended anybody with the above examples.

Onto another topic, I find it offensive when people ask me 'what star sign are you?'. I can't help but be offended that they think me dumb enough that I would stoop so low as to pander to their utter stupidity.

Ok go up to 'someone from the Indian sub-continent' and say 'Hello Paki, how are you today?'and see what reaction you get. Go on, do it and post a video too so we can laugh at you.

Comparing a recognized racial slur to something like Aussie just eludes reasoning. Would you call someone black, a 'niggar', because in your context you meant it to be 'nice'.

RB, in that context it is offensive, though, if the person is Paki (not Indian, Sri Lankan, etc) then it's not offensive.

Note: We onced called 'African Americans' Negros, Black Americans, etc. So, those who appear to be Paki may actually be British by birth, and are therefore as Pommie as any other of that unwashed nation. wink
Originally Posted By: SubZero

RB, in that context it is offensive, though, if the person is Paki (not Indian, Sri Lankan, etc) then it's not offensive.

Note: We onced called 'African Americans' Negros, Black Americans, etc. So, those who appear to be Paki may actually be British by birth, and are therefore as Pommie as any other of that unwashed nation. wink

Which context?
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
i may find the Japanese practice of making long line ups even longer because people refuse to ride up wit people they don't know offensive to the brotherly spirit of snow-sliding (and borderline unbearable on a powder day).

For once I finally agree with Oyuki on something.

I'm also agreed.

Although I reckon Japan is a much friendlier place to LEARN than somewhere like Australia because of the lighter loaded lifts. There was nothing so nerve wracking as some of the lifts at Falls Creek 1.5 yrs ago in school holidays.

They had them running fast to keep the queue's short, which meant quite a lot of accidents getting on and getting off. Because they were running so fast they had to have a quick drop away at the unloading point to jettison people out of the way (gotta tell ya, that was not fun on a snowboard - especially when one of the skiers to your left skied right - straight across your path!!). Due to high traffic unloading it was hard packed and icy - very unforgiving. And SO many people would stand in the path of people getting off.

Yep - lifts in Japan are much more forgiving.

Doesn't excuse sending a gondola up for First Tracks with two people on it though!!