Looks like folk with kids will be getting some cash from Mr Govt.

But I just saw on the tv an interview with a guy who has 8 children. He has a crappy job, his wife doesn't work and they are there begging for money from the government while she's 4 months pregnant again.

I think he should have his balls clipped off myself.

(And give me some money).

When it was announced, the morning show with the grumpy guy in the wig had some woman on with four kids of high school and university age saying it was unfair that she would get nothing. For a twenty-one year old! Jesus wept!

If you are gonna have them, then you gotta pay for them.

I have four and I do not receive anything at all in benefits for them, in the early days we qualified for standard family payment (which years ago was never means tested anyway as it was meant to go to the mother in case the father - the usual breadwinner - was withholding the cash), but even that stopped about 12 years ago before the youngest was born.

No flatscreen TV bonus for us when we had bubby - just a big bill from the hospital. But really I think that is how it should be. If you can't afford them then don't have them! The government should be spending the public coffers on infrastructure, hospital staff, adequate policing and such. Aside from a safety net for the unemployed, homeless and destitute - families should take care of their own!

I fully support you there MB, however, the argument is that australia's population isnt large enough, and its getting older, so it will eventually implode.

The cash hand out is to try encourage a bigger young generation to pay for my pension.

My concern is that the bigger the population gets, the more strain we put of the environment.

fortunately australia's 20 million population isnt really a problem. Its the SE Asian and Indian populations that we should be handing out free vasectomies to

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
How much are people going to get?

26,000 yen per month per kid up through middle school. The first year would be half that. Starting June 2010.

Whole thing seems crazy to me, but thanks everybody for helping to pay for my kid's lift tickets next year!

Doesn't seem crazy to me at all. Japan has one of the lowest reproduction rates in the world and is facing probably the worst problems associated with an aging population of any industrialised nation. What's crazy to me is that they are not doing more to encourage people to have more kids.

Seems to me, Japan is already paying people to have kids. Was just talking about this yesterday. We get 10,000 yen/month for each kid from the City here, plus 6500 yen per kid from my employer, which is not at all uncommon. Adds up to 33,000 yen / month for two kids. Not bad, but more would be even better.

My having a kid makes no difference. We get less than an extra Y1,000 per day. This hardly makes a difference to my lifestyle. Whether you are for or against direct monetary benefits to families you must recognise that something has to be done in this country to encourage people to have more children or at least, as gareth suggests, have an immigration policy. Because it they don't then we're all going to be paying a hell of a lot more in taxes later on to support the aging population.

Gareth, No super in Japan. They pay into a massive pool that will not be there when they retire as it is funding the oldies now. The GFC has only really impacted those that were supposed to have retired or are retiring in the very near future. Sure balances took a beating but the returns since the "bottom" on March 10th have partially restored balances.

I think if Japan wants to see a lift in population they need to give some kind of incentive. In Oz public system is free then they get $5k on top of that! I think we paid about ï¿¥400,000 to have our kids. It would have been good if that could have been reduced or subsidized by the Jp Govt to help.

Seriously - the people who are going to decide it is a good idea to breed more just because there is an offering of a $5k baby bonus and whatever it is a week in the bank account are likely to not put much back into the system into the way of taxes etc anyway are they?

That might sound rather NOT-pc, but I am just totally over the Taxman sticking his grubby little hand in the back pocket of small business to fund the welfare baby factory.

There are other ways to encourage population growth. Steady growth in jobs and income, stable and affordable housing markets and good schools help. As always provide your safety nets for the less fortunate - but I think the current ideology is creating a section of society dependent on government handouts who believe the world owes them a living. The burden for income generation to fund these handouts falling on people prepared to get up at an ungodly hour and work hard and long. Not right

veryangry

Yes I vote Liberal!

The taxpayers in HK have an incentive to have more babies in the way of tax allowances. on more sprog, $50,000 tax allowance.

The grass roots, who do not work or do not earn enough to pay tax anyway do not get this "incentive". Selective breeding perhaps? In a very disguised way.

Singapore even has this on their sleeves. Children of Chinese descent get financial help in the way of allowances and milk money.

And darker shades do not!!!. Has it worked? Dunno, hope that island sinks back into the sea where it belongs.

The cost of child rearing in japan is based on:

1) limited space / high rent (1 or 2 extra rooms = huge % increase in rent)

2) university costs (no student loans system so parents must pay fees/living expenses for each child, also its a 4 not 3 yr degree.)

So to encourage a baby boom they should also look at addressing the second point.