A new feature, "A Westerner's Japanese Ski Adventure" by Dick Michelson, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-61.html

"Greetings from Seattle, USA! In mid March I returned from a very enjoyable, month-long ski trip in Japan involving 11 ski areas (Nozawa Onsen, Shiga Kogen, Hakuba Happo, Niseko, Furano, Appi Kogen, Zao, Tengendai, Naeba, Myoko Suginohara, and Arai listed in the order visited). The purpose of this article is to share some of my experiences, personal observations and fond memories of traveling through some of Japan’s beautiful mountains; skiing at many very good ski resorts; staying at delightful, small, family-owned-and-operated pensions; enjoying delicious Japanese food; relaxing in spotlessly clean onsens; and enjoying the gracious, kind, friendly and helpful people I met wherever I went."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-61.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Hey there Dick. How's the weather in Seattle? I'll be headed back there next month.

Nice article. I see you have made some of the same observations as I did. The terrain here is really tame compared with the Pac NW. Where do you ski most? Stevens? Crystal? I found Arai to be the closest in terms of terrain, and that was not terribly steep. What did you think of the powder? It is good you hooked up with some nice people right at the beginning to ease you into the solo Japan traveling. Were there any things that surprised you about the culture in general?

Thanks for the good read.

• SnowJapan Admin

We're sure Dick will look forward to reading all your comments and might respond here in this thread, but believe that he is away travelling once more until the middle of June.

So you'll probably here from him towards the end of June.

Many thanks

SnowJapan.Com

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
If only you could have met up with some rope duckers. Most of the resorts that you went to are good if you know where to look. Suginohara has cliffs if you just go to the right spot.
High winds plus 100cm of new snow put avalanche danger too high for me this time. Dick
 Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Hey there Dick. How's the weather in Seattle? I'll be headed back there next month.

Nice article. I see you have made some of the same observations as I did. The terrain here is really tame compared with the Pac NW. Where do you ski most? Stevens? Crystal? I found Arai to be the closest in terms of terrain, and that was not terribly steep. What did you think of the powder? It is good you hooked up with some nice people right at the beginning to ease you into the solo Japan traveling. Were there any things that surprised you about the culture in general?

Thanks for the good read.
My pleasure. Stevens is my primary "local" area with Crystal being my local choice when I'm willing to spend another hour traveling. Whistler is only 4 hours away so I get there when the conditions are prime. Dick
 Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderbird2:
If you could choose just 1 resort to stay at for 4 or 5 days, which would it be?
Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling across the US and up into Newfoundland---another good trip.
I'd select Shiga Kogen since it has the most lift-connected terrain,a few decent steeps, and a good lift system. The Hakuba area, staying in a pension at the base of Happo, and skiing at the vareous resorts in the area could be interesting. I only skied Happo which is quite good and would have skied the other nearby resorts if I had had the time.
Dick