Tips + service charges (again)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's like that hoy polloy French restaurant I went to for the first time.

I took my jacket off. Sorry sir, you need to keep your jacket on. This is formal attire. doh

First time ever for $US100 appetizers. But it was DAMN good.

First time ever this one

Come to pay the bill and I want to pay it by debit card. So she comes with the machine, put the card in - then she gives it to me and asks me to "follow the instructions"

First question:

please confirm amount

OK

Next question:

Would you also like to pay a tip in addition?

Options:

YES NO

Need to press either YES or NO on the machine while she's there hovering over you watching.

veryshocked

I bet people do yes feeling under pressure.

I pressed no.

Cheeky buggers.

• 11 months later...

I thought I'd scoop up this one from last year.

Just come back from a posh restaurant. Fantastic meal.

Soured at the end by the bill coming with HUMUNGOUS writing at the top SERVICE NOT INCLUDED.

They come and shame you when you come to pay with card as well...

"How much for sir"?

"For the frikkin' amount on the bill"

Gets more in your face every year.

Gets my goat every time. lol

Argh, I have never had to tip anywhere I've been in my life - I probably would in the USA because I know the staff rely on tips, but not in England or Japan!

I will also never tip anyone in NZ besides possibly delivery boys because their job is dangerous :( poor fellas.

Originally Posted By: Thunderbird2
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

I will also never tip anyone in NZ besides possibly delivery boys because their job is dangerous :( poor fellas.

Why is that minty?

a number of them have been called to houses and then attacked by the occupants (who didn't want to pay for their pizza) - at least one has been killed (by a 13 year old boy!)

They also generally work at night, so even just finding the houses can result in an attack from passersby.

As far as service jobs in NZ go - they don't get paid very well (usually the same as the guys in the store, but they have to use their own cars) and they're at constant risk. They're bringing me a pizza so I'm happy to give them a small tip.

My grandparents actually give delivery boys a 50% tip - I think this is where i learned the delivery boy tipping from.

The thing I don't get in places like swished up pizza places/burger bars as well as ethnic food joints is why they'll happily serve you oxidised wine and expect you to pay the same someone would pay for a fresh glass.

you write the date you open the bottle on and give it a small taste each day to make sure it isn't oxidised!

Heck, get a CO2 or Ar canister and gas the bottle after opening it each time!

It's a service thing too - for wine drinkers, an oxidised wine is like drinking a flat beer.

If some places gave better service they would ensure the wine was kept in a way that kept it fresh, and then would chuck it out once it wasn't fresh any longer.

It's generally the places that sell wine by the glass and try to have too long a wine list. You will find that the cheapest wine by glasses are fresh, the mid range by glasses are ok, and the more expensive wine by glasses are almost always oxidised.

The US is out of control with tipping.

Tipping is expected for the waiter/waitress 15-20% of bill, bartender or cocktail waitress, barber/hair stylist, cab driver, bell boy, valet, porter, pizza delivery guy.....I'm probably missing a bunch. I'm surpised the Fed Ex guys haven't tried to get on board. It sucks.

Each year I notice it more in the UK when I visit.

Gradually increasing this silly custom gets on ones tits.

Even if you only have very small ones.

Used to be pretty non existant other than the quaint "money under the pillow in the hotel" as my Japanese friends ask me about (I tell them to put a tooth under there and the next morning there'll be some cash which they can then use as the tip).

The whole tipping practice has been explained to me many times, usually sprouting these two main reasons.

1) Waiters wages are very low, therefore tipping is required.

Sooo... why is it up to the customer to make up the short fall in wages? That's an issue between the employer and the employee.

2) You get better service when you tip well.

Shouldn't good service be a mandatory part of the job description?

Personally I couldn't care less if the waiter polished my shoes and gave me a neck rub or the food came out on a conveyor belt.

If that's the case, perhaps I can mention when I go in that I'm a good tipper. To get the good service, like.

Then at the end just say "sorry, I was fibbing".