Yeah that one was big BUT actually it helped me out.....I was asleep in Shinagawa station and would've missed my train!! Not good for those missing in Shizuoka though!! It was a magnitude 6.6, the one the other day measured a 6.9 in magnitude but the Shindo was only a 4 so today's was a biggie!! Are we warming up for something huge?? I hope not!

mmm...seems to be an active period!

Glad everyone is OK...

Another one in the Andaman Sea, as well as the couple in Japan, on the back of the shake in NZ while my boy was there a few weeks back. He freaked out and called his Mummy - LOL!

Hope it has released all the built up pressures now and we go back to minimal movement.

I know nothing about earthquakes but once you have a decent tremor does that mean that the plates have shifted and that they are now more stable for a while?? Heaps of little tremors means it is building up to something big?? wakaranai

its means there is less pressure than before but still possible that another big 'un is in there - waiting to unleash.

Global_plate_motion_2008-04-17.jpg

An interesting pic of tectonic plate movement.

snowhuntress - good question... living in Tokyo, with the biggie long overdue, I would like to believe this, but I'm not sure whether such straightforward logic applies. Otherwise, they might have come up with a rudimentary way of predicting earthquakes - and they definitely haven't succeeded in doing that yet, despite chucking Billions into research towards that aim.

It is simply better not to worry about it - and remember, walking down any street with traffic is far more likely to get you killed than living in an earthquake zone.

SdS

Check out that big black area on the west coast of north america!!!!

Isnt that where the Cascadia subduction zone is...the one responsible for the 1700 "Orphan" Tsunami to hit Japan? Blimey - no wonder that thing goes off every few hundred or so years - lots of pressure built up there!!!

Thats right - you got the Cascadia subduction zone there and also the san andreas fault to the south - if those two were to go at the same time, you could pretty much kiss the west coast goodbye.