OK anyone here like champagne?

As rubbish as an admittance it might be, I often prefer a bottle of cheap(er) sparkling or not wine.

Perhaps I have never tried a 'good' champagne.....

Well....my 4 long time friends and I had afternoon tea on Sunday ... and we neatly polished off 3 bottles of champers before moving on to a Chenin [having run out of the champers at that point].

I prefer to drink French Champagne mainly because there are no hangovers. No preservatives = no nasty head the next day. A good clear crisp bubbly with no next day regrets. Not losing a day of my life nursing a sore head is worth the extra expense.

What more can you ask for.

champagne is french razz everything else not made in that region is called sparkling wine. god that annoys me, especially with so called "wine connoisseurs" . (Not aimed at you MB)

Thats OK Rob. Yes...I know that.

But the other 'champers' being discussed were not of French origin, so I was being clear.

Years gone by most sparklings were called "Champagne"...

So what is it that annoys you exactly?

Is it that they want to keep the name Champagne only for sparkling wines from the Champagne region?

[Coz I am then led to wonder about Bourbon and Cognac and probably hundreds of other drinks/other things named after where they were created]

Or is it that people refer to sparkling wine produced outside of France as Champagne?

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Or is it that people refer to sparkling wine produced outside of France as Champagne?

This annoys me - its like whisky and whiskey - two different products from a specific and non-specific area.

but to be fair Rob, there are lots of us who grew up with the product know as "Yellow" [a sparkling wine] marketed as Champagne (for example)

It is only since the more recent legal action that these drinks have had to be known as 'Sparkling wine' - I am sure there are other things that are called a name they are not marketed as nowdays.

I've heard people tell thier kids "grab your ipods" where some might have iPods and some may have other branded mp3 players...similar thing really.

However - me. I drink CHAMPAGNE (at least in preference to sparkling wine - although not always possible.)

Doesn't annoy me so much. The regional names associated with particualr wines/spirits, etc often became more of a brand name for a particular process rather than pointing to the region specifically. A bit like in the US everyone calls vaccuming 'hoovering'. And just like with the vaccum where Hoover probably doesn't even have that great a market share anymore even though it's brand is so well known, the name Champagne became an all encompasing brand name for a particular type of wine and lost it's regionality. The French have been trying hard to reclaim the heritage of the namesake.

If I was involved in the industry it might annoy me but as I'm not...

There is only so much land in the Champagne region, so the whiley French annex more land can called it something Champagne recently. I'll take the Champagne, you lot can have the sparkling wine. yummy

I had a Krug 90 recently. There was a lot of chocolate in that one.

Let me see. Here, a Dom Perignon 96 in the bottom draw of my desk. Think I'll save that for drinking later.

I love champagne and often the places/times I have had it.

Not too much though gives me a bad hangover.

Just enough to go onto alternatives.