Nikko temples and Chuzenjiko, Nikko, Tochigi

Yesterday we went for a day trip to Nikko in Tochigi. Nikko is about 150km from where I live, going down south to Numata in Gunma and then east through Katashina (past Marunuma Kogen) and into Tochigi on Route 120.

Soon after getting into Tochigi, we stopped off at Chuzenjiko Lake and the rather impressive 97m Kegon waterfalls, coming down from the southern part of the lake. You go down 100m or so to the viewing platform via an elevator. A few km away you can also take a Ropeway up to another viewing point where you can see the waterfall with the lake behind it and mountains further in the background. (Photos later in this thread).

Then it was on to the temples of Nikko. There's a lot of them and they are mostly in the same big area that you can walk around just outside the main town area of Nikko. I've been before, but still very much enjoyed taking some time to walk round. It's a feast for the eyes and most definitely worth a visit.

After a sunny blue sky start to the day it soon turned into one of those silver/grey skied hazy ones, hot and humid. A fine tonkatsu set meal in Numata on the way home finished off a great day.

thumbsup

muikabochi_1830.JPG

muikabochi_1824.JPG

muikabochi_1821.JPG

Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil (in that order!)

muikabochi_1801.JPG

muikabochi_1820.JPG

muikabochi_1837.JPG

muikabochi_1816.JPG

muikabochi_1814.JPG

muikabochi_1805.JPG

muikabochi_1804.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pictures as usual, Muika! Did you see that "haunted brazier" at the shrine with all the sword cuts marks on it? It was nice seeing your waterfall pics - I've been to Nikko twice, but haven't seen the falls or been up to the lake (never made it past the temple precinct!).

Thanks. Rob and Ezorisu - no, didn't do or see those things. That walk Rob, is that on the other side of the river on the other side of the road from the temples?

Kegon is really good actually Ezorisu. We went there really early it was still before 9am so hardly anyone around. When we were leaving about an hour later it was getting much busier I can imagine it being VERY busy during peak hols.

Lovely photos as ever muikabochi. I like your style!

It looks like it is really worth a visit, I have heard quite a lot of good things about Nikko.

For someone who has been to both, how does it compare with Kyoto?

I just wish the town fit in more with the brilliant temple area. The town (city) of Nikko is the usual Japanese mess and looks like so many others - there's even the run of run-down buildings on the way in. It really spoils it I think and it would be great if Nikko town could be redone in a style fitting the history and atmosphere of the main attractions.

I know it's a typical problem in Japan but...

Nice.

I have been to both - quite briefly - and while I enjoyed both, I preferred Nikko. Kyotos places to see are more spread around where Nikko has them all in the same area. I really liked the atmosphere of Nikko, it was a fine place.

I agree, Nikko town is very disappointing. (Any towns that aren't?)

Nice weather while we were at Kegon but it quickly clouded over after then, though it stayed hazy sunny. You might notice not many pics of the temples have the sky in them. I was trying my best to avoid the sky (and the ones that did have the sky in them didn't turn out too good). Damn that silvery grey haze.

friend

Ah right, ok I get you now. Yes I like that as well.

I only used 2 lenses acually on Saturday - the 18-200 and the 12-24, I would say more than 90% were with the 18-200.

Just love all those pillar/lantern things as well - there are tons of them in Nikko lined up all over the place.

muikabochi_1800.JPG

muikabochi_1818.JPG

muikabochi_1825.JPG

muikabochi_1804.JPG

muikabochi_1817.JPG