What % of your salary do you get in wallet?

About 71% off the top of my head :(

But that includes:

- my rent

- my wife's pension insurance payments (she doesn't work so it comes from my salary)

- some random things like lunch at work

I keep track of these things

2007: 78.8%

2008: 77.1%

2009: 75.7% (projected)

Chunks of cash are always nice to get, but if you know how much "bonus" is going to be and it is not performance related, so effectively part of the salary they are hardly that exciting. Not for me anyway.

I get a bonus but it is only once year and only about a months salary. I guess this year it will less than the proposed amount due to economic situation. I'm not in sales though, just a regular salaryman.

I much prefer to get the "bonus" (yeah, right) in even monthly throughout the year. (Especially this year because I have been able to take advantage of the exchange rates each month). The usual "bonus" system here - where it is pretty much fixed up front and you know what you will be getting, not performance related) is a bit silly if you ask me, I wonder how that system started and why.

It reduces your window for leaving. If you are going to leave, better to do it right after getting that bonus otherwise you are wasting money. It's just another way to tie you down.

Also, its good for the economy because some % of people tend to go out and spend some of it.

Last year, some nut jobs got about 36 months bonus. So even got more than 50 months.

They were exceptional cos they got paid for the percentage they made for their clients.

Totally nuts.

the Mandatory Provident Fund, MPF is the pension scheme. Which requires a 5% contribution from participants.

My pension scheme is run by the compnay and it is non-contributory.

So I just pay 15% income tax, no health insurance, 'cept the ones I chose on top, no pension contributions, 'cept the policies I bought on top.

Comapany tax is also a mere 16%

Whilst I always thought it would be nice to earn a fat bonus in both summer & winter in Japan, all those I knew that got very hefty bonuses worked 6 days a week and had little life outside of work. Therefore I came to the conclusion that the "bonuses" were compensation for the life taken away from the suckers. They should be just paid more monthly, but then they wouldn't feel special come bonus time.

Performance bonuses, I can agree with to a certain extent coz that's why I'm getting (though not quiet as big due to the GFC)

I never worry about any of this stuff. As long as I have enough to enjoy a decent lifestyle that's all I care about. Never cared about trying to become mega-rich. One of the main reasons I moved to live in Hokkaido is because lifestyle is extremely important to me and making lots of money is not.

Originally Posted By: thursday
no health contribution, the gov takes that up. 15% max tax rate.

No consumer tax either

veryshocked

Well KRudd has to get his pot of cash to splash on ther recession from somewhere and I suppose that somewhere is MY FAMILY. Coz even with creative accounting we are saying goodbye to WAY more than that percentage wise. More than 40%, how much more I am not sure.

Welcome to Australia - the highest taxing country in the developed world (no references to back that claim up - purely speculation!)