What % of your salary do you get in wallet?

AGREED!

Was discussing this just this morning with my 16yr old son.

Explaining the sliding scale of tax in Aus (no flat rate here mate!) and also about payroll tax...he was gobsmacked. His only question................

Is that not a disincentive for people to be industrious and work hard?

HELLO!

If a 16yr old get's it - why does not government?

Problem is, people - however pissed off at taxes - still do work hard and try to get a higher salary, even if the % of it you actually get slides down, you still are getting more.

Originally Posted By: griller
Problem is, people - however pissed off at taxes - still do work hard and try to get a higher salary, even if the % of it you actually get slides down, you still are getting more.

Well....we do.

But in our business we have had people knock back overtime because it will put them in a higher tax bracket - and then ask to be paid cash if we want them to work. Hmmm...well...that does not really benefit OUR tax position then does it? So NO.

Silly how people think sometimes.

This is why some regions have very low taxes, to attract in wealthy tax-escapees. I think Gibralta, Cayman Islands and probably Monte Carlo are like this.

Originally Posted By: griller

I'm doing my very best not to work harder and am not trying to get a higher salary (at least I'm not prepared to work harder to get it).
Originally Posted By: thursday
the UK will hit 50% as top rate. And then National Health Contributes on top. How can these tax payers not be angry.

one of the main reasons i moved back to Japan
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

But in our business we have had people knock back overtime because it will put them in a higher tax bracket - and then ask to be paid cash if we want them to work. Hmmm...well...that does not really benefit OUR tax position then does it? So NO.

Silly how people think sometimes.

People freak out about going into the next tax bracket. If they did the maths, for someone to be close enough to the next bracket it would generally only slightly increase their tax paid (by less than one percent). BUT at the end of the day they still have more money in their hand than they would have had they not done the overtime!

personally, I think Ruddy needs to think about the slashing of the concessional contribution rates from $100k to $50k (then eventually to $25k including super guarantee 9%). I thought they were trying to get people to self fund their retirement by contributing to super????

My tax seems to have increased again.

I worked it out I got 78% of my total salary last year taking out income tax, health insurance and the necessary town/ken taxes whatever they are.