Our office has been told to set the aircon to 28 degrees during the height of summer.

To me that is just way too high. It's almost like what's the point?

Glad I'm going to miss a month of it!

I hate how hot they have offices in Japan. Ever gone to the ward office in summer?? Its like walking into a sauna.

Why do most (that accurate?) Japanese shun cool(er) offices and buildings? I realize 23 degrees would be a tad bit cold, but gimme a F'ing break rolleyes

? Something about reducing greenhouse emmissions?

We are all encouraged to have the aircon set a few degree's less comfortable than we would like to make a big saving on greenhouse emissions.

I wish some offices here would do similar as the aircon is SO cold people have to put a jumper on on a 40 degree day - seems dumb to me.

Aircon should be set at about 21 degrees both Summer and Winter! If things get too cool, there's always the option of wearing some more clothes!

Nah, Cool biz is cool. I'm with MamaB on this one. Good for the environment, good for the body too coz it helps you adjust to the hot summers. But 28 is too warm. 26 is more reasonable.

Well may I suggest people have different temps that keep them comfortable? My colleagues seem fine stewing in 28 degrees but I would much prefer 24.

what's the point in having the air con on if you set it to a level that you aren't comfortable with??!! Seems stupd, put it to 20 sit back enjoy the cold and laugh at all the sweaty monsters struggling along as you gaze out your frost encrusted window!!!

Well I suppose it depends on the ambient temperature as to what is a waste of time, doesnt it?

During February there is always a week in Perth when the temp is over 40 for a number of days in a row, and over 20 every night...during that week my home airconditioning is set at 28 (during the day). For a number of reasons. Firstly - if I am inside and it is 22 degree's and I go outside and it is 46 degree's then I almost faint - the adjustment is too hard. Secondly - if I lower the aircon set temp (and sometimes even if I have it at 28) the system has a fit and shuts itself down because it is working too hard. Mind you this is usually only one or two time periods over that summer period - the rest of the time the temp I choose is lower - more around the 22 - 24 degree's.

We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms as well as aircon, and I have found that I can have the aircon a few degree's warmer if I have the fans on circulating the air, and still be very comfortable.

Welcome to my world people.

As an air con technician, I can tell you from 26 years experience in comercial air conditioning (mainly office blocks) that there is JUST NO PLEASING EVERYONE.

I love it when I'm working in a 45 deg. plantroom and I get an 'urgent' call to attend to some fat arsed office wanker who is suffering under 26 deg. temps!!!

What kind of soft, fragile, pansey arsed creatures have we become that we have to live in this temperature controlled, lighting controlled environment.

(i need a holiday)

Quote:
What kind of soft, fragile, pansey arsed creatures have we become that we have to live in this temperature controlled, lighting controlled environment.

I don't mind being called soft, fragile, pansey arsed if it means the aircons on. wink

I prefer living in a cooler place (like Zao!) or Hokkaido where we don't need to live in an air-conditioned bubble. Obviously not everyone can do that, but it is one of the benefits! friend