Hi

I see that from next year a new Skyliner route will cut the time down to 36 minutes from Tokyo. Nice.

But can someone explain to me why Narita Express is so much more expensive than the Skyliner? I've never heard an explanation for that, other than "it just is"!!

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just is. wink

JR extract much more from many people due to the connections on from Tokyo and beyond whereas the Skyliner stops Ueno Keisei. It's still robbery though and I would always use the Skyliner and connect than encourage them with their evil plan.

It really is just "one company charges more than the other". They both use common track with their respective railroad companies' regular (non-express) lines.

I usually use the JR Narita Express because I'm usually heading to Shinjuku when I'm in Tokyo. The two times I caught the Skyliner, it wasn't as clean or odorless as the Narita Express.

Because JR was once JNR and national is always more expensive than private when it comes to transport because they had to maintain most of the deficit routes, having to coup the money from popular routes.

Since they are privatized now, they saw no need to change the established price... no?

Sometimes I use the Keisei line - not the Skyliner but the normal train on that line. It only takes a bit longer than the Skyliner and is about 1000 yen. Compare that with the 3000 yen or so for the Express and you realise what a ripoff it is.

Narita express has a lot of space for suitcases etc though. And it'd annoy the locals if they had to share their trains with airport passengers.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Na - bus is for locals wink

mate I agree. i took the bus back from Narita after New Year, took a little over the time taken by the Narita Express and delivered me right into Fujisawa without any changes, stopping only once before. It was cheaper too.
If I in fact do take the train up, I take the Yokosuka line from Ofuna. Only a little longer and 2000 yen cheaper. Narita Express is for Losers!!
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I have used that normal line once or twice. If it's not at a peak time, it's just fine. I wouldn't advise it at peak times though.

I get it near the start of the line so I can get a seat, and more often than not I pay for the Green car. You then get the same comfort of the NEX for less money