My family of 4, (2 teenage boys and wife and I), are planning to visit Japan from around the 8 of Jan to the 24.

The boys and I are skiers, but the wife is not. I had been primarily looking at Furano. Just wondering if there is enough to keep my wife entertained in Furano for about 10 or so days while we ski? Is there anywhere else that people would think may be better in this regard ? Should we maybe split the time between 2 ski areas ? So many questions, I know.....

I have no idea what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John.

10 days in Furano alone is definitely pushing it even if you do ski. It's not that big a ski area. I'd split your time between Niseko and Furano.

You could also spend a few days in Asahikawa and ski out at Kamui ski links. There's a bus to the resort which only takes about 40mins and you're wife would have plenty to do in Asahikawa.

Book some lessons for the wife!

If I learnt when my boys were in thier teens - so can she. And she might be surprised!! Best place to learn is Niseko - nice fluffy POW to fall into.

I booked private lessons with 2 girlfriends when we went first time (snowboard - other two were skiers learning to board - me a total n00b) - that was fun - 3 old ducks laughing at each other on thier asses and then soothing the aches in an onsen afterwards.

Second Niseko trip my hubby was unable to ride due to knee reconstruction - and the kids did not want to hang with me - so I booked a private instructor - a really lovely girl called Yuki who I called my 'rent-a-friend'. She got paid to ride with me for a few hours each day - and we got on GREAT - and I had a partner to ride with, and teach me new skills as a bonus.

She should GO FOR IT!!

Mammabear,

Thanks for the info. She has had lesson in NZ. There are those who are meant to ski and those who are not meant to ski. She is the latter. The magic carpet at Coronet peak proved too big of an obstacle for her to over come. So now she is happy to sip hot beverages in cosy warm establishments while we ski.

John

Hi John

I have had a similar situation. In the end I have had to spend most of my day skiing with my wife and helping her gain the confidence to allow her to absorb what the instructors are telling her. I have lost a lot of my free ski time while the kids are in ski school but I am looking long term to the day when we can all ski together all over the mountain.

Good luck!!!!

I can only talk from experience but the Beginner Runs at the bottom of the hill at Niseko are Awesome for beginners. Believe me I have been dragged all over the world by my very accomplished snowboarding husband and I am a very very average skier.

On our last trip everyone left me and went off and did their own thing for the trip and I actually turned the corner. I had so much fun playing by myself I even conquered a couple of Black Runs.

Maybe get her some lessons. Skiing in Japan is really the bomb and it would be shame for her to miss out. If she decides not to ski there are always day trips to Sapporo (awesome shopping) and Otaru.

The change has to come from within. We don't know your wife, and you know her, so It makes sense when you say there are those who are not meant to ski - at the moment, who knows. Maybe one day she might pick up skydiving while you are on the ground with a stubby in your hand. No big deal. She will be ready when she is. Probably her getting bored while youse ski might tip it off.

Originally Posted By: JohnJanelle
..... There are those who are meant to ski and those who are not meant to ski. She is the latter. ...... So now she is happy to sip hot beverages in cosy warm establishments while we ski.
John

Maybe she is meant to SNOWBOARD evilgrin

I spouted the hot chocolate line too - that was the plan - the boys go off and board and the Mama will make dinner and hot chocolates and have massages. YEAH RIGHT! That did not last long in Niseko party

I wonder if the right companions for her would be the tipping point. If I felt I was dragging everyone down I would not be keen to go with them. I was lucky that my 2 skier friends wanted to try snowboarding so we were sorta on the same playing field. One got it FAST, the other went back to skiing, but by that time I had enough confidence to book private lessons and get my fix too. Now I mix it up with the kids and the Papa through the tree's. If there is ever a place to learn - it is Niseko. It is SO user friendly. Lifts are easy to use (except for the Ace Family Pair - doh!), snow is soft, people are great, runs are well marked.

But if she is dead against the idea - I recommend the massages at the Alpen thumbsup

Being a non skier in a ski resort is not fun. She would be feeling left out while you are having fun fun fun. She'll probably make up for it by going shopping or head into town to a male strip club.

All in all, it'll be better for the both of you if you skied together.

Get her a good instructor for 2 hours in the morning then ski with her after lunch.

While getting her to give skiing (or boarding) another shot is ideal, you seem to think it ain't gonna happen. So...

With that in mind, Niseko is a far better option than Furano: massages at Alpen, good food, good bars, great onsen, day trip into Otaru (or even a couple of days trip into Otaru/Sapporo).

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

There is a small chance she may attempt more lessons, I am hopefull anyway. The boys and I have always skied, but this trip we will try boarding, so maybe she will join the lessons with us.

After reading all the comments here, I have decide to go to Niseko. Just trying to decide on accommodation that suits us. Need to book soon, as the more I look the more confused I get. Hoping to make a decision this week.

Thanks again,

John.

Good for you John!

I am doing the opposite cross over this July for the benefit of my parents. They have never recreationally enjoyed snow (according to my father snow was the reason he left the UK and emigrated to Aust - and her I am dragging him back into it for a holiday!!). I want them to have a good time and not feel like they sat around in crowded buildings drinking hot chocolate waiting for us to get back from enjoying ourselves - so I am going to do beginner ski lessons with them.

I have never skied. So it should be quite hilarious.

Plan is to do the ski lessons in the morning with the parents after which they can either tinker away with it on the beginner slope or go have a Nanna Nap - and I will swap to the board for the afternoon.

So I think your idea of doing lessons with your wife in the other discipline is a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John. This thread's probably dead but it is a dilemma when one in the family does not enjoy skiing/boarding to a similar degree. We too are a family of 4 and there has been many a day when I (and now we as the boys can negotiate most runs) when we finish the day raving on only to find that mum's fed up or bored, or both.

Can't imagine that she would want to switch to snowboarding and start all over again but each year we have tried a different tack. Private lessons to get her up to speed failed dismally. A hotel room last time in what I thought would be an interesting town (Nozawa) turned out to be no good too. She ran out of things to do after a day. Hotel room = cabin fever.

Bless her she keeps coming up with us but it's difficult reigning the little 'uns in when she can't keep up. Amazingly she's been coming for the last 20 years!!!

This time we're renting a car from Narita and a house at Hakuba and mixing in some touring on the odd day... Fingers crossed.

And good luck with your trip.thumbsup

Originally Posted By: thursday
Being a non skier in a ski resort is not fun. She would be feeling left out while you are having fun fun fun. She'll probably make up for it by going shopping or head into town to a male strip club.

rollabout How did I miss this one. Classic.
Originally Posted By: thursday
She'll probably make up for it by going shopping or head into town to a male strip club.

Thursday me and the girls would like to know where this strip club is. May tell the boys we are off night skiing EVERY NIGHT!! lol
  • 1 month later...

Well, the trip is all booked. Leave Cairns January 8 , via Guam to Sapporo same day. 10 nights in Niseko, leave January 18, back to Guam for 6 days, return to Cairns January 25.

Still a few details like gear hire, lessons and passes etc. to tidy up, but that's about it.

Just have to wait now....................seems so long away.

John

Originally Posted By: JohnJanelle
Well, the trip is all booked. Leave Cairns January 8 , via Guam to Sapporo same day. 10 nights in Niseko, leave January 18, back to Guam for 6 days, return to Cairns January 25.
Still a few details like gear hire, lessons and passes etc. to tidy up, but that's about it.
Just have to wait now....................seems so long away.

John

thumbsup
You are gonna love it.

Welcome to the Niseko Addicts Club - NOW THE WAITING BEGINS!!!! shifty

Be prepared - Surfering Snowjapan - The Forums - Daily Updates - OH first snow fall start checking every web cam available - Now the snow has started falling start checking every snow/japan weather report you can.

Sit back and enjoy the ride you will be there before you know it smile