• SnowJapan Admin

Yesterday a good friend of mine in Yuzawa showed me some old photos from Yuzawa before it was all built up. Unfortunately we don't have any specific dates for these photos, and they are certainly mixed up from a number of different times, but some of them are going quite a way back when the main Yuzawa station was tiny and there was no Route 17. It certainly looked quite different without the shinkansen station and mansion tower blocks.

Anyway, I found them to be very interesting and my friend said it was ok to share so here they are.

That's Echiho Yuzawa station there centre bottom, looking towards what is now Gala Yuzawa and Ishiuchi Maruyama.

yuzawanow_903.jpg

Looking down on Yuzawa from where Gala Yuzawa is now.

yuzawanow_905.jpg

Echigo Yuzawa Station

yuzawanow_904.jpg

This is the east exit of the station, where the bus/taxi area is now

yuzawanow_897.jpg

Nunoba (basically near what is now the centre of town) looking over towards Tsuchitaru/Iwappara

yuzawanow_898.jpg

'Taxis' at the station. There's a sign for Kandatsu Skijo, but that is not the Kandatsu we know - it was a very small area called Jodaira (close to Sporea Yuzawa, just above where the shinkansen tunnel is now)

yuzawanow_896.jpg

Looking south towards the station area. To the right is where Nunoba and the Yuzawa Kogen Ropeway is now.

yuzawanow_902.jpg

Nunoba

yuzawanow_901.jpg

yuzawanow_900.jpg

yuzawanow_899.jpg

• SnowJapan Admin

Both of the next two photos were labelled 駅通り so it looks like it is the road on the east side of the station (looking towards the station on these photos) - the road going down from the station to Route 17.

This one is from 81 years ago:

yuzawanow_906.jpg

...and more recent (Yamakiya, bottom left corner, is still there):

yuzawanow_907.jpg

Just to compare that top photo with modern Yuzawa:

yuzawanow_903.jpg

scenery5.jpg

My guess would be that the mountains were stripped bare during the war. The new green all looks dark enough for conifers, so they'll have been planted, quite possibly with subsidies, in the post-war period.

Some very Western-looking buildings there for 1928. Was Yuzawa a market town or on a trade route? I don't think you'd get something like that in ordinary inaka at the beginning of Showa. The train line is single track though.

Not many steep roofs on view for "snow country", even back in the day.

The old main route to Echigo (what is now mostly Niigata-ken) was through what is now Myoko and Joetsu but (I think) the train tunnel opened up a new faster route for the transport of goods and people through Yuzawa.

Nice pics too. Thanks SJ1

There were deffo subsidies post-war to plant the main conifers, i.e., sugi, hinoki, karamatsu, and akamatsu, for timber for Japan's reconstruction. Alas, the timber market was deregulated in the 1960s, cheap imports flooded in, and lumber demand collapsed. That's why there are lots of unmaintained (unthinned, overcrowded) conifer forests everywhere.

Hardwood firewood and charcoal were Japan's main source of heat until the 1950s. Demand for that declined sharply from then on due to imported kero, with some mixed forests being initially replaced with more conifers. Up to that point, both types of trees were extensively grown and carefully managed. Trees may mean nothing to people now, but they certainly didn't back then.

In that photo, I don't understand why a largely self-sufficient town in a cold area would leave the foothills bare or clear cut the lot and leave nothing for the future. It suggests some kind of major change or upheaval.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Anyone know what kind of cars they were?

In the first picture with cars (station east exit), the car on the extreme right foreground is a second-generation Nissan/Datsun Bluebird (1963-1965). I’m curious to see what kind of car that is behind the ladies talking on the street…

In the second picture with cars (Yamakiya), the little white car parked next to Yamakiya could be either a first-genereation Toyota Corolla Sprinter or a Mazda 1000 (Hmm... could it be a Nissan Cherry?). The car with the four round headlamps on the right side of the street is most likely a first-generation Mazda Luce (1965-1971). This picture is a later timeframe than the ekimae one.

I'm sure some old car otaku could tell you more...

Very interesting.

My parents over new year showed me some photos of our hometown from a long time ago, it had changed so much. It looked like a completely different place, the only thing the same was mountain.

Going back over old photos is always interesting. Did the same back home the other year. I am the spitting image of my dad when he was my age. Makes me worry about myself when I get to his! wink