I think this last season was the third season that the southern part of Gala Yuzawa wasn't open. I used to like that area - the best bit if you ask me... steep slopes, loads of snow, good trees.

Why exactly is it closed and are they ever going to open it up again anyone know?

Cheers

If I remember correctly, the first year it didn't open was 04/05 just after the Chuetsu earthquake, so it will have been closed 4 seasons now. (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!)

Again, not 100% on this, but I heard that the earthquake did a bit of damage over there (enough for them not to open it) and they haven't fixed it up and/or know what to do with it yet.

I agree it was a good part of the resort quite steep and lots of untouched snow.

Got to wonder whats going on there. They don't seem in a hurry to open it up do they. I didn't think Yuzawa was affected much by the earthquake. Agree though that it was the most fun part of Gala.

Has it been closed that long?

You'd think it would be top priority, it being 1/3 of their resort and all with the connection to Yuzawa Kogen as well. Must be lots of money needed for something.

"The earthquake did a bit of damage over there"

Japanese way of saying, "Good excuse to close part of the resort and save money." I doubt it will be open again anytime soon unfortunately.

Not necessarily. Yuzawa was shindo 4 in the earthquake there was damage in areas and that steep slope got some landslides. I heard the lift base got some damage too. I am sure money has a lot to do with it, but I would also guess that they would really like to get that part open if they can as it is a significant part of a popular resort.

• SnowJapan Admin

Gala have been planning and are apparently now seeing to fixing up what needs fixing up on that southern area with a view to opening it for 09/10.

(Whether the Ropeway connecting Gala with Yuzawa Kogen will also re-open is another matter as that is operated jointly by both the resorts).

• 4 months later...

In the local newspaper this week:

Gala Yuzawa officially announces preparing new 2.5km course (570m vertical) downhill from the bottom of the resort (northern area) to the bottom gondola station. The first real resort development in Yuzawa town since the opening of Naspa Ski Garden in 1992. One of the main reasons is that strong winds stop the gondola sometimes leaving people stranded on the mountain with no other way to get down and there have been a few times this happened in recent years getting a lot of bad publicity.

Lots of it is a typical down the mountain zigzag and it mentions them building a small tunnel or something near the bottom to get people back to the gondola station. Not sure about that bit.

Should be open properly NEXT season.

• SnowJapan Admin

Perhaps I confused things in an earlier post with a typo. I believe they intend on opening that part up again for the 10/11 season. I'm sure they are looking forward to it.

About the wind issue. They didn't seem to have big problems until that storm a few years back. It created a lot of publicity and it seems that since then they have been extra cautious in order to avoid the same. Just my guessing.

They were getting almost paranoid I think! Sometimes they were closed even on bright sunny days with no wind but with the forecast of some moderate winds that never turned up. I didn't count but last season they missed quite a lot of days, a fair few of them being weekends as well.