I'm new to these forums, so please be gentle with me. I've been looking at some of the topics but can't seem to find what I'm after. My husband and I are thinking about a trip to Japan for skiing in the New Year (2010). We are keen skiers in Australia and take about 3 trips each winter. We are fairly confident skiers but would love to try Japan just for the a different experience. Can anyone recommend a first experience for us. Most of what I've looked up says that Niseko is the 'little Australia' and we would prefer not to go there because of this. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on how brave you want to be and ease of access.

Niseko and surrounds is obviously the easiest choice and then probably Hakuba. However I've seen complaints elsewhere about the Aussie 'menace' moving to Hakuba recently (others can feel free to dispute this - just what I've read).

Yuzawa, Nozawa Onsen, Shiga-kogen and Myoko-kogen (of course) would all be good choices as well and easy to get to (particularly Yuzawa). The latter three perhaps offer something a little more 'traditional' if that's what you're looking for.

These are probably main choices for you to look at but sure others with chime in with good tips and opinions on all options.

My recommendation would be Myoko-Kogen + Nozawa and/or Shiga. Whilst in the area see the snow monkeys at Yudanaka + Zenkoji Temple in Nagano City. Couple of days in Tokyo to start or finish with a side trip to Nikko.

Good luck, MG

Hi BeeBeeDee

Here's what we did, it was a lot of fun. It wasn't difficult, took a bit of planning but we enjoyed that too. (And it wasn't our first trip to Japan, but we are far from being expert)

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/304194/TR_Tohoku_2009_Alts_Inawashiro.html

You've got plenty of time. Join in here, you'll learn a lot ( including who to trust and who not to wink )

We did.

That was a great trip Bag planned this season (the one above, and he planned a good one the season before too).

Are you looking for more than just skiing?

Stick around here, ask questions and hope you find what you are looking for. For what it's worth I'll help the little I can.

I live in Niigata close to the Yuzawa area.

Personally, I would not choose this region if I were coming from overseas.

Possibly my first trip would be something like Tokyo + Shiga Kogen + Nozawa + Nagano.

Or something like that.

Take a look at this section of this site, it will give you an idea of where the 'hot spots' are in this case especially those appealing to foreigners

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/index.html

Tell us a bit more of the kind of thing you are looking/hoping for.

friend

Much of that crap about Niseko was written years ago by Niseko haters. If you're new to Japan and new to skiing in Japan, then Niseko is your new found paradise.

Having said that, stay away OK. Dun want non appreciators there.

BBD,

First, Id like to say once you ski Japan, you’ll wanna come back year after year. The snow here is incredible at most resorts, and the snowfall is even better. Even in a bad year (like we have seen the past year or two) the amount is quite impressive.

I have skied Niseko 1999,2000,2001,2002, 2003 (did a season), but haven’t been back up north till this past Christmas/NYs (2009). I was there before the “Aussie peak†and once the influx came, I stayed away.

Last winter, most likely because of the Aussie dollar weakening, there weren’t that many Aussies at that time I felt. The bars were empty, some were just dead. A few had good business regularly that I could see walking by or dropping in. To me, there wasn’t an overwhelming presence whatsoever. There was tons of powder to be had on the days the weather cooperated. There were probably more people from H.K. than Australia.

Niseko rocks, it’s a fun mountain and the snow is epic. Just check out the pics from MikePow and GN. Those guys ski daily, and get the goods. They know all the hotspots and can get powder on days when non-locals are just riding “strawberries†because it’s a famous run. You will have an epic time up in Hokkaido and I would add that as a resort, Rusutsu kills Niseko. The pitch is much longer, steeper, and much less traversing, too. Just duck the ropes and youre ballz deep. We had an incredible time up there this year and I will be heading back again.

What I would say about Rusutsu as a precaution is there are cliff bands in several areas, and if you cant see where youre going, or don’t know where youre going, you could fall over them. We saw a few people have a nightmare on them because they had no clue where they were going or what they were doing. If visibility is bad, quite often tree runs are your best bet, but they can be dangerous too. What Rusutsu lacks is any kind of nightlife, bars, restaurants that aren’t connected with the hotels there. Sure, there are a few places, but few in the very sense of the word, and nothing worth making a drive from Niseko to Rusutsu just to eat or have a drink. That’s why Niseko is much more famous and traveled to – it has everything.

Shiga Kogen has the best powder in Japan due to its elevation. Many of Shiga’s bottom runs are at about 1600 meters which is about where the top of the Gondola is at Happo One. I have had more epic days at Shiga than most other mountains, and the best part of it was NOBODY was riding the powder there. I had laps to myself and was giggling like a little kid. The snow there is fantastic. What Shiga lacks is the same as Rusutsu. If you don’t mind just eating in the restaurant and having a beer with dinner, then you will most likely really enjoy your trip to Shiga (or Rusutsu for that matter).

Nozawa Onsen has the best atmosphere IMHO. I love the feel of that resort. I have had great snow there, but snowfalls and quality are a little bit lower than other places around Nagano/Niigata/Gunma. Im not saying its bad, but it doesn’t get the same weather as other moutains. The Onsens are sweet! Best part, many of them are free! But, they are hot, scalding hot. They boil eggs in them. No joke. Onsen Tamago are quite famous. There are cooler onsens, but on the whole, I found Noz Onsens to be a bit too hot for my taste. DRINKING ALCOHOL IS ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED TOO. The locals enforce that very strongly. Save the drinking for after. There are tons of great restaurants, izakayas, and a few watering establishments to keep you happy. I love walking around Noz at night as seeing the glow of the place. Its quite impressive.

Do searches for resorts on here and Im sure you can find MOST of the information you need. If not ask. Some people will give you lots of help, and then many will give you 5 word answers, or some will ask that you give a "please" first. Just ask away and you will find out everything you need.

Originally Posted By: BeeBeeDee
I'm new to these forums, so please be gentle with me. I've been looking at some of the topics but can't seem to find what I'm after. My husband and I are thinking about a trip to Japan for skiing in the New Year (2010). We are keen skiers in Australia and take about 3 trips each winter. We are fairly confident skiers but would love to try Japan just for the a different experience. Can anyone recommend a first experience for us. Most of what I've looked up says that Niseko is the 'little Australia' and we would prefer not to go there because of this. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Actually both Niseko and Hakuba would be perfect introductions to skiing in Japan, and as well to enjoy that Japanese expereince. There is a reason why these are the most poular resorts among foreigners at present.
Cant really talk about Niseko too much (as i have never been), but why not stay in one of the small villages just outside these resorts. Then you can enjoy first class skiing and also have that unique J experience.
Otari Village just to the north of Hakuba has Tsugaike, cortina and Norikura as well as shuttle bus links (daytime only) to the Hakuba resorts. Hardly any foreigners stay in Otari..
Just an idea!
  • SnowJapan Admin

As someone else said, perhaps give them a bit of time to come back. Not everyone is checking out the forums multiple times daily. I'm hoping they will be back.

wink

Unfortunately, sometimes this kind of thing is going to happen. Many times we have spent time getting back to people (off the forums) and not heard anything back from them in return. No thanks, no nothing. Perhaps they think that we owed them our time/advice, we are some sort of free advice centre or something.... It can be annoying.

The good thing is that even if the original poster doesn't come back with their thanks, at least the information may well help some of the many other people reading it - so it hasn't gone entirely to waste.

Hey, man, SJF and all of you lot

You have my thanks for being fair dinkum and I am a fan of this forum.

It's pretty good when we can say what's in our head and people cop it pretty well.

it's pretty amazing how things can stay pretty much on course while there are some bent characters...

wink wink..

Bend not break..

at least we are entertaining, no?

I have found the info interesting. It was not a waste of time folks.

I am bring the family over in 2011. Really can't decide where to go, Niseko, Furano, Naeba, Nowza, they all look great!

Kids will be 8 & 10 and they will have been skiing 3 times previous. Just wanted to get them very mobile before we hit japan because english ski school seems to be a bit lacking other than in Niseko.

Also hoping their fussy eating habits might disappear by then.

Hakuba has a few good schools Willy and they are listed on this site. Shiga I havent heard of any, but that doesnt mean there arent any. Nozawa has 1 (2) as well. At these places they are taught by native speakers, not Japanese speaking English. I dont have a clue about Furano nor Naeba.

For kids, (and even grown ups) I like Myoko guy's idea with the monkeys on route ...

Myoko and Shiga sounds like a good idea.

Kids like short transit time and uncrowded slopes.