Of course sometimes the weather is really bad with strong winds that will mean lifts are closed off, but there have been times this season when the weather has been suspiciously not that bad and places have closed for this reason (usually midweek).

For example, Gala in Yuzawa was closed on Tuesday but according to my mate who was there that day there was hardly any wind to be had. Akakan in Myoko is closed as well now due to bad weather, but it seems a bit of a stretch.

So - resorts just closing because there's hardly anyone out there and just not wanting to incur opening costs, or am I being too cynical?

Haha, sometimes very suspicious. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. wink

I remember once a friend telling me that one late season mid-week day Kayama Captain Coast closed "due to ther being no-one there"!!

Ha! so it is happening that way..

Iliyama was a bit sarcastic when I suggested that the resorts to be closed during the weekdays when there's no one around instead of going out of business..and it's a logical step.

The inconvenience will be when one shows up the resort is closed.

I hope they will advertise, or use the service of SnowJapan and let people know when their opening days are in advance. Month in advance or week in advance....

Yes lots of people up at the top "base station" not able to come down the mountain because of the strong winds. There's no ski-down at Gala so basically they were stranged until the winds died down. Can't remember how long it was. But since then Gala seem to have been very cautious about it all closing up for the day at the slightest sign of wind. (I see they are closed today, though this afternoon it is quite windy).

Originally Posted By: yoroshiku onegai shimasu
The Gala places does seem to have had quite a few closed days the last few seasons - ever since that incident where thousands were stranged up there...

Wierd, I read that as strangled and wondered how that managed not to make the world news. Now I understand, it was stranded!!
  • 2 weeks later...

Base as in at the bottom of the mountain or the bottom of the ski field (if you know what I mean?)

Always remember the phone box and that vending maching photo. Class.