Selling ski lift tickets and buying them (legality & morality of...)

Good point Mr Wiggles,

If the passes were more flexible, the customer base might (just might) improve. I mean that if people were able to do say 20 * 3 hour sessions for example at a reasonable cost, they would have more incentive to use the tickets, and the mountain would get better numbers.

As pointed out, many will not ski, even if living locally, because they have to work and cannot get value out of a full day ticket. More flexibility might overcome that.

Would be worth a try, at least.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are places with electronic systems going on better than the paper based ticket places? I would imagine it would be much easier for them to be flexible in the way they do these things. Pressing buttons and stuff to make the changes..

The lack of choice or reasonable pricing, particularly for morning tickets, has stopped me skiing before. Normally I do whole days, but there is always a few times where you only want to ski for part of a day.

This is especially true of the expensive resorts. If a reasonably priced half day ticket had been available I would have skied. 20% off isn't a half day price!

If someone had offered me a cheap/free ticket in those situations I would have taken it.

A few years ago I did winter seasons at both Fernie and Big White. The trade in season's tickets was rife. Lifties at both resorts were paid a bonus to bust people, although the risk of becoming a social pariah stopped most of them.

The management of Fernie went to considerable lengths to bust people. There were a number of stories circulating about management setting up "Honey Pot" style stings targeting both buyers and sellers.

I wondered at the time how much revenue was involved or if it was more about management being hardcore about a rule.

Is on selling a season's ticket any different to on selling a day ticket?

Not many resorts offer morning tickets and most half day tickets don't cost anywhere near half the price. I haven't seen a points or coupon system that works either - a half days skiing using these products would cost more than a full day pass. These products only really suit a few runs, such as back country access and the like.

The smaller resorts in Japan have far less offerings, but then they are often so cheap it isn't an issue (to me). It is the bigger more expensive resorts in Japan and other places I've skied that I'm commenting on.

I think the crux of the issue is value for money. If people don't feel that they are getting fair value from the products on offer then they will look for alternatives such as on selling tickets, not buying in the first place or to purchasing 2nd hand tickets.

It's more that the full day passes don't cost double that of a half day pass than the other way around. The half day pass is about what's needed to break even if you only come for a weekend or two during the season. The smaller resorts' model bases the full day pass for the same reason.

Having more choice isn't always a good thing either; it can paralyse a lot of the newer skiiers/boarders, who make up a huge portion of the customer base, and also gives more chance for errors. There's enough people who don't know what to get, why they should get "x" pass etc as it stands right now.

Originally Posted By: thursday
First lifts for an extra 500Y.

As a way of milking a little extra cash from people? Yeah, I think a few places are doing that... Wasn't Niseko Higashi offering first tracks at a premium price? That is savvy. I think getting up early should be enough of a price to get first tracks so I don't like it from a consumer's perspective but if it works for the resorts then all the more power to them.

Ahhh... I reckon good on them for value-adding!

If you can make a special first tracks for a fee, and create happy players and revenue for the resort - then all good luck to them.

Now if you are willing to get up before dawn and skin up for a freebie - good luck to you too - but I'll be paying for my First Tracks. It usually only gives you one run with the handful of other people prepared to pay for peace quiet and untouched POW, but why not...

Some of the Aussie ski resorts could do worse than installing some kickarse lighting like they have in Niseko and charging a fee for Night Riding. I know my day is over far too fast in Aus, I like the fexibility of night ski in Niseko.

For most resorts that do it it works the same - one lift up by prior booking and payment (some might take people who turn up on the day and pay) about 15 minutes before the official opening of the lifts. It is not a big expense usually , just gives those keen enough a jump start on the masses.

I usually can't get done with the kids in time and only just make it for the Gondola opening time - but usually find enough untracked on piste to keep my n00b passions happy.

Jynxx - there is something nice about Nighta's....the lighting, the atmosphere, the less people... I wouldn't go hard all day and then go again at night - too old for that! But it also spreads out the players over a longer time span. if Nighta's are available then some people might choose a lazy day in town while it is quiet and then a peaceful evening of sliding on the mountain when it is equally quiet - meaning one less body on the mountain at busy resorts at peak times... It also gets rid of the mass exodus off the mountain at closing time - my biggest hate on the cat tracks in Zermatt! If the Nighta is seemless like it is in Niseko then people can choose to stay high and out of the crowds at 4.30pm and come in at 5.30 or 6pm instead. I think Nighta's rock!

you need a normal vald lift pass, pay and stand in line with the rest of the addicts. It's good for the hardcore, 'cos at that time in the morning, you'd be showering and breakfasting.

Originally Posted By: thursday
MB, many places have stopped their nightas because nobody goes.

Niseko is one of those anomalies that defy economic sense.

I cant see Happo keeping their nighta open for much longer...maybe a season or two. Groyu is much better suited for night skiing but way below Niseko.

LOL!

I know the last few years Thredbo had 2 nights a week that they had 'a night session' but it was not long, and had a big break in between end of days and start of nights. We gave it a crack but you had to get off the one lift they were using at a midstation with a lovely steep drop off and sharp turn onto the run - that was rock hard sheet ice! Not fun .... there was a pile of bodies in front of us before we even got off - so we had no hope. Hard to chip in an edge - not really worth the effort - so one run and we bailed for a beer. However the teens decided to keep on going and they reckon by thier 4th run it had all loosened up and was great as 90% of the people who went out had given it up by then! LOL

But this years Thredbo catalogue is only offering one night a week (if memory serves correctly) on Friday Flat - the absolute beginners slope .... not only is it flat flat flat, but it is short short short.... so it will only be beginners and kids who head out for something like that anyways.

But I suppose if it doesnt make money then it is a liability.

didn't think I'd be a fan of Nightas but a couple of weeks ago at Naeba I went to the Nighta and it ended being the best part of the whole day, prob cos the snow during the day sucked, high winds had blown all powder away, but come about 4pm the winds dropped and it started snowing and the whole mountain changed. Less people around as well. Wasn't as bad as I thought

We used to do a lot of nighta in Naeba. It was good for us too because it never got crowded.

There used to be a lot of ballet skiing going on at nighta there after a day's hot dogging..

Then we hit the Disco....how we had so much energy I have no idea...