I often wonder how many people at Nozawa go home with their electric chip, and forfeiting their 1000 yen..... must be quite a few, I have done it once myself (though I quickly nipped back to get my cash!)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought a fair few electronic tix home from Niseko on the first trip. Multiply 6 people by the fact that it was April and we could not get passes that lasted the time we were there - and we had masses that turned up in jacket pockets etc, depsite returning many.

HOWEVER - we took them back with us the next season and they exchanged for the 1000 just as well then! Haha! Pretty happy about that. i think even now we might have a stray one hanging around.

I much prefer the electronic tix - Zermatt used them as well. They are so easy to use. However for a natural snowboarder the pockets are all in the wrong spot....so I use an arm band that I got in Niseko - easy peasy getting through gates :-)

I tried to stick on of the pathetic Fall Creek jobs into the arm band to stop it flapping about in the breeze, but got told off - it had to be tied to the jacket (thems the rules) .... what about if you had more than one jacket?! Anyhooo...the next day the stupid thing tore off! Luckily it was actually found and returned to me because my name was on it (still had 10 days on it) - why oh why would they not let me do it MY WAY! <doh!>

Thredbo runs the "plastic" paper ones, and they provide you with a non-removeable loop to ensure you dont go sharing with your friends!! (nothing your own trist-tie wont resolve tho).

The thredbo ones are waterproof and you need to be quite brutal to tear them off

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, the electronic credit-card size ticket card and turnstyle system that Niseko uses really rocks.

Though I imagine there would be a fair cost involved in implementing it into a resort without it.

But hey, such cost surely pales into relative insignificance at places like Thredbo & PerisherBlue who are charging in the order of AUD$100 for a day ticket per person.

Some places use those high-stick sticker-type tickets which you peel off and stick onto itself over those wire hook thingies or some such loop - once they are stuck they are stuck fast.

And some seem to be a waxy type of paper.

• 3 weeks later...

electronic system shouldnt cost much to make. its just a few machines hooked up to a central server. id guess they can get the money back in 3 years on it.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
electronic system shouldnt cost much to make. its just a few machines hooked up to a central server. id guess they can get the money back in 3 years on it.

systems are actually very expensive to develop, esp RFID. and with a system you also need a service contract that can also be very expensive
Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Ryoma @ Nozawa - any idea of how many people don't return the electronic cards and therefore their cash?

Now that's an interesting question. Ryoma's back in Oz for now, hope he keeps track of the forum, 'cause I'd be interested in his take on that question.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I much prefer the electronic tix - Zermatt used them as well. They are so easy to use. However for a natural snowboarder the pockets are all in the wrong spot....so I use an arm band that I got in Niseko - easy peasy getting through gates :-)

The four resorts I went to this year in Switzerland and France all had electronic ticketing, the Swiss resorts used exactly the same equipment as Niseko. My Groovstar jacket has a pocket on the left sleeve which is perfect. Probably why it is there.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I tried to stick on of the pathetic Fall Creek jobs into the arm band to stop it flapping about in the breeze, but got told off - it had to be tied to the jacket (thems the rules) .... what about if you had more than one jacket?!

I use a keyring when I ski in NZ so I can remove the ticket if necessary. Stoopid bloody paper tickets.
Originally Posted By: Journey Man
My Groovstar jacket has a pocket on the left sleeve which is perfect. Probably why it is there.

Good to see! One of my boys has a Ronin jacket with a suitable sleeve pocket as well - but they are all GOOFY - so they use a front pocket anyway. As electronic tix get used in more and more places I would think a left sleeve pocket will become more common.

Originally Posted By: Journey Man
I use a keyring when I ski in NZ so I can remove the ticket if necessary. Stoopid bloody paper tickets.

What a bloody excellent idea!
THANKS!
In Aus I like to have 2 Jackets - my heavier Japan/Europe weight Jacket for the colder days, but sometimes that is WAY too much so I use the outer shell of my North Face one on spring cndition days. I hate being locked in to one jacket in Australia.

it's got a popper so that it can be fastened to the outside of the sleeve so that it can be inspected if needed. This is redundant for electronic tags and there's also a chance you'll get snaggeg on a stray branch and rip your jacket.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Ryoma @ Nozawa - any idea of how many people don't return the electronic cards and therefore their cash?

I asked this question yesterday at Happo. 98% are returned