Just got a new all singing and dancing "home bakery" over new year. Can make all sorts of bread, cake, jam, rice and probably lots more. Made my first loaf this morning and it was pretty good.

The smell of baking bread in a morning with coffee is hard to beat.

groovy

Yeah I had one but it broke, was ok until started using through summer, then it got fried, too hot in Tokyo for it, that and the fact it was cheap too, may also have had something to do with it.

Thinking to buy another one, nothing like the taste of hot freshly baked bread in the morning!

Originally Posted By: thursday
where do you get the yeast?

rollabout

Hey you guys that wanna get a bread maker, try your rice cooker first. Ours does it fine, and all the instructions are in the manual.

Sour Dough... mmmmmm thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Indo

Hey you guys that wanna get a bread maker, try your rice cooker first. Ours does it fine, and all the instructions are in the manual.

Bet it doesn't make bread and as many different kinds as good as my bread machine.

Yeast from the supermarket soon adds up for the little packets.

You should buy it in commercial quantities. You can get it in Hakuba (for the pensions), but easiest is probably online from "Mama Pan" on Rakuten.

They sell two types of French yeast "saf leveur". Instant dry is like supermarket little packets, scoop it up and whack it in as is. Ordinary (i.e., non-instant) dry yeast has to be activated in sugary warm water. Its not very difficult and has a distinct flavour compared to instant yeast. For flavour, best of all is to use active natural yeast. You can make it yourself from raisins etc. and keep it in the fridge, or use a commercial product. I think a company called Hoshiyama do one from brewers yeast.

Mama Pan also sells lots of rye flour, wholemeal flour, bran etc. for livening up your bread. Rye flour is very low in gluten, so the bread won't rise as much if you stick lots in. In terms of taste, a little bit of bran goes a long way. Again, fancy flours are much cheaper to buy in large quantities than in little packets in the "lets make some cookies" corner of the supermarket.

A simple and cheap way to liven up a loaf is to stick a load of sesame seeds in. Some machines have a trapdoor for adding them halfway through (but mixed into, not on the top of the loaf), but you can whack em in at the start and it makes no difference. Other seeds like poppy and sunflower can be expensive in Japan.

If you've got an oven, your bread maker should make pretty good pizza dough. Leave it thick, add salt, olive oil and rosemary and you've got great foccacia. I've only tried it once, but our bread maker also makes really nice mochi. Much nicer than the bought ones.

Happy baking!

Originally Posted By: r45
Originally Posted By: Indo

Bet it doesn't make bread and as many different kinds as good as my bread machine.

Probably limited in regards of the shape, but no limit on different types you can make... just add different ingredients!
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Yeast from the supermarket soon adds up for the little packets.
You should buy it in commercial quantities. You can get it in Hakuba (for the pensions), but easiest is probably online from "Mama Pan" on Rakuten.

They sell two types of French yeast "saf leveur". Instant dry is like supermarket little packets, scoop it up and whack it in as is. Ordinary (i.e., non-instant) dry yeast has to be activated in sugary warm water. Its not very difficult and has a distinct flavour compared to instant yeast. For flavour, best of all is to use active natural yeast. You can make it yourself from raisins etc. and keep it in the fridge, or use a commercial product. I think a company called Hoshiyama do one from brewers yeast.

Mama Pan also sells lots of rye flour, wholemeal flour, bran etc. for livening up your bread. Rye flour is very low in gluten, so the bread won't rise as much if you stick lots in. In terms of taste, a little bit of bran goes a long way. Again, fancy flours are much cheaper to buy in large quantities than in little packets in the "lets make some cookies" corner of the supermarket.

A simple and cheap way to liven up a loaf is to stick a load of sesame seeds in. Some machines have a trapdoor for adding them halfway through (but mixed into, not on the top of the loaf), but you can whack em in at the start and it makes no difference. Other seeds like poppy and sunflower can be expensive in Japan.

If you've got an oven, your bread maker should make pretty good pizza dough. Leave it thick, add salt, olive oil and rosemary and you've got great foccacia. I've only tried it once, but our bread maker also makes really nice mochi. Much nicer than the bought ones.

Happy baking!

Mr Wiggles - You are a gem of informataion!