So whos on snow tyres already? I suppose those up in Hokks might be, still a bit early here. I think last year it was 2nd week of December before I got it done. Always dangerous when the snow falls and people haven't changed, my friend who works at a car shop says it is always good for their business!

Changed to snow tyres about a couple of weeks ago. I usually change to winter tyres around mid Nov, but my normal tyres had sod all tread on them so thought better to change early just in case the police happened to check my tyres.

Changed mine last night. A 3 hour ordeal as car rolled forward, sliped off jack, jamming jack on 45 deg angle under car and 1 wheel also on 45 deg. This technique is not recommended. But sucha are the hazards of living on a hill. Anyway all done by darkness. Just as well as started dumping with snow in Furano after midnight. Still going almost 24 hours later. About 30 cm on the ground.

Are snow tyres a propoganda tool? I don't have snow tyres, yeah it is a little slippery but that is the same when driving someone else's car who have snow tyres, and I didn't have snow tyres in Europe or in Australia so am wondering if they are all they are made up to be. My Japanese friends, and foreigners alike, think if you don't have snow tyres you will kill yourself on the roads.

Anyone else not buying into it?

Put em on the car neversummer.

We drove a van in Niseko in Janaury with snow tyres and was awesome - no concern about slipping all over the road like it was an ice rink. Still had to drive carefully of course, but it was WAY better than I imagined it would be.

I would highly recommend snow tyres especially if you live in area that has ice and snowfall. They make the big difference and if look at statistics for accident you will see large number is with normal tyre.

Sorry my poor English!

Yep they make a huge difference I always use snow tyres in winter. I have driven a car before without snow tyres no comparison.

And if you got a 4wd car with snow tyres even better still, of course you still have to be careful if you drive around like Nigel mansel in the snow you are still going to come a cropper.

I sure wouldn't want to be driving around in normal tyres all winter. Apart from the fact that driving is easier with the snow tyres, I think it's pretty irresponsible to live somewhere like that all season on normal tyres.

I was in Stockholm and a Swede was telling me about how an early snowfall caught everyone out. No one had snowtyres on and Stockholm was littered with abandoned cars. Their half hour drive home took 3 hours and they only managed that because they were in a 4x4. I have always had snowtyres in Japan in winter. Mainly because in northern Tohoku you'd be mad not to have them. I was driving in the mountains in Akita through heavy falling snow in a 4 x 4 with snowtyres and at one point I contemplated putting on the snowchains. So if you're going to a ski resort & you're driving you'd be mad not to use snowtyres. slap

Originally Posted By: neversummer
Are snow tyres a propoganda tool? I don't have snow tyres, yeah it is a little slippery but that is the same when driving someone else's car who have snow tyres, and I didn't have snow tyres in Europe or in Australia so am wondering if they are all they are made up to be. My Japanese friends, and foreigners alike, think if you don't have snow tyres you will kill yourself on the roads.

Anyone else not buying into it?

Buying into what?
As stated above, you must be plain stopid not to use snowtyres if you live/work or spend a lot of time in a snow resort!
OK for the weekend tourist chains will suffice but for any longer you NEED snowtyres

In all seriousness, I was being totally honest as I haven't seen a real need for them here. There is never much ice, not even on the road to Sapporo this morning or tonight when it was snowing heavily. I used snow tyres last year on work cars but not on mine and didn't really notice the difference so I asked a legit question.

There aren't many places on the road that are hairpin corners or off cambre slopes so with careful driving, you shouldn't get into trouble around here but I am sure over confidence will get the better of people some time during the winter. I will make it my business to not be one of them and will, on recommendation from many on SJ, look inot getting some snow tyres. friend

Oh, if i lived where those guys in Tubby's vid did, who knows what to do, not drive, I don't know.

driving w/o snow tyres makes you mad, bad and dangerous to know ... get the tyres changed.

Even in a 4WD on reg tyres you will slip-n-slide.

Hugh

PS I'm still in shock from today's quote from auto-bacs to replace my knackered snow tyres with new ones, Yulp.

Originally Posted By: neversummer
In all seriousness, I was being totally honest as I haven't seen a real need for them here. There is never much ice....

When i got to japan i thought the same thing. I had come from Vermont where they had studded tyres. When i saw that the japanese version was studless, i thought it was a con.

So i drove my first season in northern Nagano (iiyama) without snow tyres. I got around ok and the tyres i was using would never pass a MOT check (WOF or mechanical check). God bless Japan and its two yearly shakken.

Then after winter, when i could see the steel belts in the tyres i bought some snow tyres. They make a huge difference. Its like light and day. In summer it sometimes feels like you are on a gravel road (you move around a bit under braking) but they are fine.

My advice is buy the snow tyres and leave them on all year. For two reasons:
- they really do make a big difference.
- If you have an accident you are going to be in the can if you dont have them. I was once told that it was a legal requirement to have them if you lived in the snowline, never figured out if this is true but everyone has 'em.
- The IC employees regularly check for snow tyres or chains at IC on-ramps in northern nagano / Niigata. The cops in Iiyama, (near Nozawa) sometimes do. Long story but a local resident made the cops have a go at my mate. they let him off because the tyres were 'all weather' but it took a while.

Last thing, snow tyres dont help you with ice, dont know why the ads sometimes say they do. Thats a bunch of bollocks. You need studded tyres for that.

I got mine at a used tyre store. Cant help you in Hokkaido but in Nagano i found one near Aki-numa traffic light on route 18. Saved me a bundle of cash.

Matt