I just saw that Venezuala is planning to get a 6 hour workday going.

Does that include lunch? But seriously, made me think about how many hours I clock in. Including lunch I'm at work usually just after 8 until around 6pm.

How you?

Quote:
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- The government of President Hugo Chavez is planning to establish a 6-hour workday under forthcoming legislation.

Labor Minister Roberto Hernandez announced Monday that he would present a proposed bill before the end of the year to reduce the workday from 8 to 6 hours, improve employee benefits and establish "more forceful" penalties for businesses that violate labor laws.

The president's allies hold a majority within the National Assembly and most bills proposed by Chavez's administration are approved without considerable delay.

Chavez presented the same proposal as part of a constitutional reform package that voters rejected last December.

Before the vote, some business owners warned that reducing the workday would force them to cut jobs or close down.

I'm on a contract at 7hours a day (not including breaks) so I'm in the office by 7.30 and gone by 3.30 with an hour in breaks.

The 7.30 - 8.30 hour is the most productive (when I get to do a bit of surfing) because there's nobody else here at that time!

(BTW this posted from "work")

My normal hours are 9-6 but there's a commission component to my wage so if I want to earn more I work more....at least with the Aussie $ taking a nose dive my wage here doesn't seem so bad anymore biggrin

Originally Posted By: Go Native
My normal hours are 9-6 but there's a commission component to my wage so if I want to earn more I work more....at least with the Aussie $ taking a nose dive my wage here doesn't seem so bad anymore biggrin

OK...so THERE is the silver lining.

Knew it was there somewhere!

My work hours are variable.
Regular commitment of 9-1 Monday and 9-3 Thursday (at least for the next few weeks) but this week I am also working 12-3 Tues and 8-11 Wed. I love it. Fits in around kids, home and fun (like wakeboarding tomorrow afternoon). But sometimes - like over the election - I work way more than the 40hr week - in fact ON election day I did 20hrs in one day yawn Loooonnnnnngggg day! Works for me.

Routine can become boredom very easily, thurs.

When I was a teacher, the invariability of the routine was deadly dull. up at 6.30, in the car by 7, at work by 7.15, coffee, scratch, prepare, teach, outa there by 3.05, home by 3.45, eat sleep - do it all again.

The weekends were a blessing, sleep in til 7!! WooHoo! Lazy breakfast, some physical work on the farm and a early night, totally buggered. Do whatever you want, when you want (well - within reason wink ).

Originally Posted By: thursday
that is not good. There is no routine to your life by which you can set a timetable. You need to wing it each day. Good for a short time but devasting for the chaos that we are about to endure.

Be different if I was number one income earner of the family Thurs, but I am number one child rearer - the work is just for my brain stimulation and self esteem .... not that the dollars don't come in handy mind you (especially at the moment).

I got offered a job I would love fulltime contracted for 4 years just this week 7.30am start and finish most days by 6pm but flexibility required to work back later as required. It was an awesome job - would have really enjoyed it. But just totally impractical with kids, home and family. ONE parent doing long hours is enough, the other one needs to work around the kidlets.

As far as timtabling - it is indeed harder to stay organised when every day is different - but I have very detailed diary entries and Papabear gets a copy each week for the upcoming few weeks (or updates as required). It helps us not to double book dates, and to factor in the things we each need to do.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
When I was a teacher......outa there by 3.05, home by 3.45[/quota]

Japanese teachers would just totally have a hard time believing that.
Creek Boy too. wink

haha yeah, The teachers at my school were telling me that they were in school until 11pm the other night. I laughed!!

On the downside of that, when there was a parent/teacher/student interview night, I would regularly be still there at 9pm.

Realistically, though, I would have at least an hour's work to do at home after dinner, so not quite as easy as it seems.

The official school day was 9am until 3pm, so starting at 7.15 or so was quite early - no-one around so got lots done in the quiet time. Because I was so early, I felt quite justified to leave as soon as the classes ended.

My working day is justy too long! I prefer going earlier in the morning to working later on though. I must be scared of the dark.

Good for you Weegeoff, 4 weeks... where's the destination this time?