• SnowJapan Admin

Usually just the top bit at Kagura, of course depends on how much snow there is.

Many resorts around the Yuzawa town area (and lots of other places actually) try to open mid-late December. There have been times when it's Chritsmas/New Year before they can properly get going. Lets hope there's early snow this year.

Early season must be great for the locals up in the big resorts, as Thurs said, very few oversea tourists willing to risk dodgy conditions, the slopes must be pretty empty up until Xmas

On my biannual visit to northern Tohuku:

4 seasons ago (first snow trip) no snow for first 4 days and local ski-jo closed (until approx 25 Dec) Then it snowed for 3 weeks. clap

2 seasons ago. Noooo snow until about New Year and very warm. Boarding on gravel at one point. sadface Local ski-jo stayed shut for duration of trip. Did get some fresh falls in first week of Jan at Appi.

This season? Hopefully 3rd time lucky.Or I'm jinxed and every two years I bring warm wet weather. doh

Originally Posted By: torihada
On my biannual visit to northern Tohuku:

4 seasons ago (first snow trip) no snow for first 4 days and local ski-jo closed (until approx 25 Dec) Then it snowed for 3 weeks. clap

2 seasons ago. Noooo snow until about New Year and very warm. Boarding on gravel at one point. sadface Local ski-jo stayed shut for duration of trip. Did get some fresh falls in first week of Jan at Appi.

This season? Hopefully 3rd time lucky.Or I'm jinxed and every two years I bring warm wet weather. doh

Is there another reason that you go to Northern Tohoku every year then or do you just go for the skiing? If so then why don't yo try somewhere else?

Its where the in-laws live. I did get to visit Kagura for some BC for two days when visiting other 'southern' relatives in Gunma. I only started snowboarding (four years ago) as it was something to do when visiting snowbound Akita. Its only 15 mins drive to a small ski-jo from father-in-law's house. Its tame, but very quiet and you can board from 9am - 9 pm. Great for the kids. We're close to Tazawako, and are spending 4 days at Appi. Having a car lets us visit numerous hills in Akita/Yamagata/Iwate.

Ah ok, cool. I'm jealous actually as I live in Southern Kanagawa, well away from the snow. Although its only a bus journey away, I'd love to live close enough to nip off to the slopes anytime I wanted with no hassle.

JR View Plaza in Ofuna were putting out the brochures yesterday for the new seasons - ran across the station, smiling and the lady who was putting them out simply said ’楽ã—ã¿ã­â€™ - made her and me laugh. Ah that first day excitement - can feel it coming!