Hi frields! I was hoping you might be able to help advise. I'm getting a new computer and this time (THIS TIME!) I want to look after it and organise things better than before.

It has 200GB of space on the HDD. But my friend told me it would be a good idea to get a 500GB or so external HDD to use for all my music and videos etc and keep the space on the main HDD clear.

Well, I don't have anywhere like 200GB of stuff now (well maybe in the future), but was wondering if that was a good idea. I was after all planning on buying an external one for backups.

Is there any advantage in using the main one over an external one? Or am I missing something?

Thank you for any advice tips!

You can keep stuff on your main one, just keep backups on your external for when your main drive goes bad. If you only have one internal drive, I really don't see an advantage to keeping a pile of free space in it. If you do a lot of photo or video editing, or produce audio tracks from scratch, you might need the space for "scratch space" where the program will write temporary files while processing your work. There will be no real speed advantage unless you physically have two internal drives - one to read from while the program writes to the other.

Since this is a new machine, you might consider the "upgrade" model with a 500GB if the price difference isn't great. More space is always good!

Hope that make sense.

ooooohhhhh 1TB for 15000. Gotta get me one or two of those.

HDD space depends on the individual. I can easily use up 2TB of space because the amount of music movies and home videos I have. Others will never come close to using more then 40-50gb.

It has been my idea that the more space the better. You can never fit a gallon worth of water in a shot glass.

My first PC had a 2G HDD (and a Pentium 120 processor running Win95), and I never though I'd fill it.

Get the biggest HDD you think you can afford, but don't go crazy, bearing in mind you'll be upgrading to a new PC in 3-4 years' time, and can get a bigger one then if you need to.

Originally Posted By: klingon
On the subject of external HDDs, got myself a new Buffalo (they're actully making them look something like sleek now) 1TB one for 15000 yen. Nice deal.

15,000 for 1 TB that's good, I was looking in sakuraya the other day was going to buy 1 TB EXT HDD, but was like 2+ man, so didn't get it, thought I would look somewhere else!

If you don't mind telling me where did you get a 1TB for 15,000 yen?

Baffalo are good I got a 500GB Baffalo HDD!

It was a local store doing a promotion I think, because yes that is cheaper than everywhere else. It looks like kakaku has the cheapest at just under 170000 and if you go to a shop they might be just over 20000. Still great value I think.

Originally Posted By: keba
My first PC had a 2G HDD (and a Pentium 120 processor running Win95), and I never though I'd fill it.

Get the biggest HDD you think you can afford, but don't go crazy, bearing in mind you'll be upgrading to a new PC in 3-4 years' time, and can get a bigger one then if you need to.

Pffft! young whippersnapper! My first computer was an Exidy Sorcerer, had cassette tape bulk storage, 4K RAM. My first IBM compatible computer (which they called THE PC, as if all the rest weren't personal computers!) had 480KB RAM and no HDD. Dual single sided 5.25inch floppies. First HDD I had was 20MB.

As forthe rest, I agree, get the biggest you can afford (or two smaller and RAID them!)

My first comp was a ZX81 with no HDD and so little memory a calculator had more power, but it worked. Also it was only black & white. To load a program it used a cassete recorder, and if you didn't get the volume quite right it wouldn't always load.

I also had a printer with it, which was like the receipt printers in shops only it used silver paper.

At the time I thought it was great, hard to think the modern keitei is about a million times more powerful!

Second was a commordore 64 with 64k of memory, no HDD, but it had a large floppy drive so at least it was possible to load things in quicker and save programs, also it was in colour.

At school we used BBC micros, during computer class, all used basic program language, was no machine code much in those days.

After that proper comps hit the market, I started then with a packard bell which came with a super massive drive of 1.2 gb, lol lol. and 4 mb of ram. But amazingly enough it stored the windows 3.1 operating system plus all the software on it and also had a CD drive too.

Hard to think my keitei has 4gb of storage space on it, isn't it amazing how technology has advanced so much in really such a short time.

What did others start with? And do any of you remember the computers I spoke about?

Originally Posted By: JA
Pffft! young whippersnapper!

Yes, I suppose I am. never got into the whole DOS thing, waited until W95 before I took the plunge. The internet was getting up to speed then too, before that, I didn't really need a PC.

The Exidy was very picky with cassettes. I bought 4 before I managed to get one that was OK with frequency range and volume. Loaded every time, just was a pain waiting for the tape to run through to load the last program on the tape.

IIRC (We are talking 1977, after all!) it ran CPM ad a very basic BASIC. Gee Wizz Basic, I think.

Registered MSDOS V2 with my first MS-DOS PC and still waiting for them to advise me of the next upgrade!

Memories...

I remember wasting an enormous amount of time trying to program games and other pointless rubbish in BASIC at high school on the Apple IIe's there, then when all the uber-geeks started in PASCAL and FORTRAN, I went and took up a musical instrument.