Serious topic honest!

There's a guy in our office who smells. Almost daily. It's like a mix of sweat and sometimes even excrement, like there's some on his clothes of something. When he walks past, you get a more than a hint waft past you and it is quite unpleasant. Some days it is worse than others, but there's always something there.

Everyone knows this and he seems to have a reputation about it as you would, but he doesn't. Or he doesn't care. Apart from the issues, I get on with him ok and feel the need to try and do something about it.... and that's what I'm trying to get going now.

How would you go about it?

One nice tactic I like to use is tp bring it up innocently when talking about a third party. You basically say 'I dont like smelly people, he should change his clothes more/avoid sweating/wear deoderant' abuot some other guy without making any reference to him. Unless he is totally simple he will make the connection to himself without it being said directly and without confrontation.

iiyamadude, there is a guy like that here.

there is no easy way to tackle it.

it may not be known to him. if he lives in squalour, then his senses could be ruined. perhaps for him, it's his sense of smell.

sometimes you just wish shows like 'queer eye for the straight guy", would come and help people like that.

If he has pets, that may be the reason for it, that could be your way in, perhaps, if you notice cat hair, or dog hair, bring it up

as a 'third person" type of thing as Bobby suggests, or even sneeze and ask him if he owns a cat, and mention, yeah, it's quite strong.

if it's just Body odour, then theirs no way to do it nicely.

be subtle, good luck =)

just say "omae kusai!!" and it will be over with wink

Men here need to learn what deodorant is. Probably anti-persperant would be better though. The zombie train when everybody is getting on after work suxs. They just smell awful. My students even know what it is and use it thumbsup

P&G could surely make a killing by promoting deoderant here for men.

It will come, maybe take a few years but it will come.

They could promote it like YahooBB - get hot chicks standing outside every station in Japan flogging it to death. Give out free samples etc.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Are you saying that you can be out and about in terrible humidity and not sweat much?

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!!

Yussar, shirt, tie, out and about in the office. Jacket to go outside. It's only 29 today.
Originally Posted By: happyhappy
Why has something as simple as personal hygeine produce not already 'come'? Baffled!

Probably "came" and "went" (in the case of the offender in question).

It's not like you don't find stinky peeps in other 1st or 2nd world countries where modern ideals of hygiene have supposedly "arrived".

I remember when I first came here and spent a short while in Tokyo in late July/early August. I was very conscious of sweating like I never had before and the horrific prospect of being smelly. i didn't have the right clothes either which made it even worse.

This is getting a bit personal, I'm assuming the guy is Japanese (?). Seems to be a common practice in Japan to shower/bath only at night. So the morning train is filled with sleepy eyed, bed haired salarymen who have that stale just got out of bed smell...well that is the way it seemed to me.

We had a guy in our office who had a dreadful BO problem. He was notorious but despite some subtle and not so subtle hints, it never really changed. Sharing an office was horrible.

If it is too bad, ask his boss to say something. Much easier for the boss to say - Hey [insert name], you stink. Go take a bath.

Actually I find that the gweilos who spray themselves with perfumes are quite sickening when in the lifts in the morning. Aftershave, OK, but sweet smelling armpit spray? What's wrong with you people?

I notice that when I go back to the UK, Thursday, aftershave too. Japanese tend not to go the perfume/aftershave thing... or at least if they do it is very subtle.

Sometimes at home I notice the waft of a mixture of perfumes/aftershaves as a group of people walk past me. The smell makes me feel kind of nostalgic for my young, single drunken nights out on the town but it is still pretty gross.

Definitely. Wayyyy too much perfume worn back in England.

Quote:
The smell makes me feel kind of nostalgic for my young, single drunken nights out on the town

Totally the same!

lol

One would think!

It is noticable how they pile it on back home though. My family had a bit of a party last summer with family and friends coming round. I had to leave the room a few times the perfume/aftershave thing going on was so strong. Just a bit for me.