Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Come on now, it's pretty blatant that the majority of the American population is against the war in Iraq.

Is it?

[not trying to be argumentative or confrontational]
The propaganda that seems to come OUT of America hasn't shown a majority opposition. I would say that in most other parts of the world the average person would get the impression there was a lot of support, with just a smattering of dissent.

It was made pretty clear by any poll (gallup, washington post, economist) that George Bush's popularity and the Iraq war popularity were below 35%. The people you are seeing on the news are not the majority of Americans. This is not to say that these types of people don't exist, but to confuse them with a majority would be incorrect. I can understand the frustration with it though and I'm not trying to sound rude.
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

Couldn't agree more, what isn't a matter of a rock and a hard place with transcending international law though?

Also, I am not too familiar with any other nation's armed forces recruitment, but here in the US joining the army is more of an avoiding prison situation. Troops aren't well disciplined and I hate to hear about stories of rape in Japan from US soldiers. Absolutely disgusts me. These are the same types of arseholes that think every other country is inferior to the US.

It was made pretty clear by any poll (gallup, washington post, economist) that George Bush's popularity and the Iraq war popularity were below 35%. The people you are seeing on the news are not the majority of Americans. This is not to say that these types of people don't exist, but to confuse them with a majority would be incorrect. I can understand the frustration with it though and I'm not trying to sound rude.

Interesting.

As a traveler I can attest to the fact that the dissemination of information is quite contrary to the stat's you give above. The impression given through the media in Australia, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland has been mostly supportive with the odd indication of small scale opposition.

However as someone who has traveled through the US as well - the US media is dominated by America as the center of the universe - with international events making little or no waves at all.

It seems that what is seen by the American Public - and the impression of the USA outside the US is quite contrived and orchestrated.

lol I sound like a conspiracy theorist!
Maybe I got out of bed too early this morning - I shall go make another coffee and wake my brain up! wave
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Interesting.

As a traveler I can attest to the fact that the dissemination of information is quite contrary to the stat's you give above. The impression given through the media in Australia, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland has been mostly supportive with the odd indication of small scale opposition.

However as someone who has traveled through the US as well - the US media is dominated by America as the center of the universe - with international events making little or no waves at all.

It seems that what is seen by the American Public - and the impression of the USA outside the US is quite contrived and orchestrated.

lol I sound like a conspiracy theorist!
Maybe I got out of bed too early this morning - I shall go make another coffee and wake my brain up! wave

I won't deny that at all. The American Media is seriously disturbed. I think the reason there are minimal riots/protests is because of the laziness here. I think that's one of the major flaws of the more capitalistic society we have is you are so busy in attaining capital there is no time for political knowledge. Sorry I keep going off topic.

Was walking out of the local pool today after Water Polo training with the kids and noticed a car in the car park...

Had the words "Skifreak" on the left hand side upper rear window ... and "Happo" on the upper right hand side.

LOVED IT!

ha ha ha

Thursday - you know that little island to the south of Niseko...it's called Honshu... wink

I just thought it was pretty cool that I noticed that on the back of a car in PERTH. Saw the woman too as she approached the car - but I could tell by her high waisted pants she was a skier so I didn't say hello lol

HEY HEY HEY MB I am a skier and CERTAINLY DON'T wear High Waisted pants. smile. The only reason I am a skier am to much of a baby to go back to basics and learn snowboarding which I would love to try.

I was chuffed the other day I was at the lights and have Ski Bunny - Rude Girls (very in ski shop in Canada) and Niseko Hirafu stickers on the back of my car. I had a car load pull up at the lights yelling and waving I apparently was A SIC DUDE!!! Although it is schoolies week here!! lol

Frangipani is a flower found in the tropicals. Highly scented flowers in big bunches all through summer.

jean-bernard-carillet-frangipani-flower-

In Australia there seems to be some sort of frangipani cult among female drivers (and male drivers who listen to the village people) and they feel the need to stick them all over their cars.

No, only soccer mums drive Exploders... you usually find them on echos, hyundai's and pretty much any other car young girls will drive.

On a few of the car forums I'm on, some people have the sig "To frangipanis on cars, Australia says no" (Its a send up of a anti-domestic violence campaign sticker)

is it really young girls....I thought they normally had the Bad Girl stickers or Roxy stickers ... it is the middle to old aged women that have them more often. My Mother in Law and all her friends do...in fact the MIL has the frangipani car seat covers, frangipani cushion cover on a pillow on the back seat, and a frangipani car deodorant hanging from the rear view mirror.

Best it get's in my car is a stanky wet towel and gym shoes left on the back seat by one of the boys!