• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah rach, Glencoe is gorgeous. When you drive through the Glen, its actually possible to visualise the glacier that formed it. It is one of my favourite places in the world. Truly beautiful

Soubs, you are absolutely right, more often than not the conditions are shite and for people living in the South of England, it costs just as much to go to the Alps, so its a no brainer really.

Mantas, yeah you are right, too many nutters in kilts (and a lot not wearing them as well), one of the reasons I'm not there anymore

nah, how could a Ford focus full of 5 southerners who drive on non-premium unleaded and snack at the Trust House Forte and Welcome Break service stops cost more than 5 southerners travelling on Ryan Air to the Alps?

haha, good luck with that Charlotte!!

The thing is, if you decide to go to Scotland, you have to disregard the weather. You can't rely on any of the predictions as its so bloody changeable. You either go regardless or you don't! \:\)

I saw some documentary on global warming the other week and it mentioned that soon Europe will be too hot and UK will be the "new Med". Perhaps that's the time to go to Scotland? ;\)

• 1 year later...
Originally Posted By: soubriquet

"SKI lift prices at Australian alpine resorts are now the highest in the world, according to an annual survey by the Australian Alpine Club.

Adult day ski lift prices at the five major Australian alpine resorts were benchmarked against 11 resorts in seven other developed countries."

"Australian Alpine Club 2008 lift prices survey

$98 Perisher Blue
$97 Thredbo
$94 Falls Creek
$94 Mt Buller
$94 Mt Hotham
$92 Vail (USA)
$91 Alta Snowbird (USA)
$85 Deer Valley (USA)
$85 Whistler (Canada)
$77 St Moritz (Switz)
$74 Mt Hutt (NZ)
$72 Val D'Isere (France)
$71 Arlberg (Austria)
$66 Klosters (Switz)
$56 Niseko (Japan)
$48 Hakuba 47 (Japan) "

Well 2010 prices are out ---> $103 AUD for Thredbo.
Although I am sure we shall be sitting atop the list again this year I wonder how the others are going for position. Time for researching....

2010 One Day Peak Season Lift Ticket Prices

$105 Perisher

$103 Thredbo

$102 Falls Creek

$102 Mt Hotham

$ 99 Mt Buller

$68 (89NZD)Mt Hutt/Cardrona

Compared to the current season prices for:

(current exchange rate according to XE.com; rounded up or down to nearest dollar for ease.

$107 (98USD) Vail

$ 99 (93CAD) Whistler

$ 95 (86USD) Deer Valley

$ 93 (85USD) Alta Snowbird

$ 71 (69CHF) St Moritz (not confident this one is correct)

$ 67 (5500Yen) Niseko

$ 59 (4800Yen) Hakuba 47

Looks to me like Japan is still offering excellent value!

And what is going on with Vail?!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

$107 (98USD) Vail

And what is going on with Vail?!

Yikes that's bleeding expensive veryangry !!!! Time to start earning your turn at those rates.
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
LOL MB, at least Vail offers snow with theirs!!

Vail snow sucks smile anyone that pays that much is a sucker. There are discounted tickets and the mountain isn't even that good. Skied it many times for free and not looking back

For the Alta/Snowbird that ticket is for TWO mountains. A regular Snowbird ticket for the tram is $72 USD (you could in no way ski all of Snowbird in a day) which you can get discounted lift tickets at a ski shop for around $55 USD. Alta is a bit more around $60 USD? I have passes so I am not sure but yeah it's around there.

Deer Valley is a rip off that caters to the rich and will never have the snow or terrain that Snowbird/Alta has.

I said it before.

March 2008 Hakuba

My kids skied for free.

My wife and I had discounted spring ticket $33.00 each (aus)

That's a family of 4 skiing for Aus $66 per day.

And it dumped!

Mitch - comparing the most expensive single day pass as per their own website (as per the original article). For reference, the Niseko price is the All Mountain Pass - there is a cheaper option.

slap Mantas ... that is 2008! And it is Spring.

But having said that Papa and I are off to Hakuba end of March so here's hoping we get a nice discounted spring ticket this year thumbsup

Last year I bought a season pass at Thredbo and worked out I was in front of the next cheapest option after 11 days ... (and that cheaper option works out to about $88 a day). I think I actually skied for about $70 a day last year.... still rather on the high side when you compare it to Mantas family trip to Hakuba confused

Yeah it's crazy but that's Tokyu for you. Complete and utter idiots every last old, put out to pasture, prick who works there! If I was religious at all I'd pray daily for them to please, please sell to a company that has even some good business sense.

How many days do you need to ride to make it worth buying a season pass?

I think I worked it out to be thereabout of 4 weeks when we were there in January - and it was not worth it for us. However it WAS worth it for our older boys because they fell into the 'Senior High Schooler' category. And that was WAY cheaper.

Good discount for kids and kids are kids much longer in Japan. thumbsup

It makes me wonder when the Australian resorts will wake up.If I could only ski once ayear I would not go in Aus its over priced for familys and under snowed.Going back to NZ this year.to keep us happy untill Japan time comes around. sj

Why would they want to wake up roscoe?

They are PACKED.

I love my Aussie snow experience, and I love my Japan snow experience. Both very different. But you are right - the prices are high. However during school holidays - good luck trying to get accommodation if you haven't booked ahead of time - and enjoy the queue's.

I was in Thredbo in July, August and September 2009, some of those times in peak times and some in off peak ... and while September saw a lot less people in the village and on the slopes - there were still queue's the majority of the time...

It is supply and demand at work really isn't it... there aint much supply and a rather large demand. Shame we can't just sprout another snowfield or two.

It's a great way to go. If it's packed all the time, then charge even more. Just makes sense. If you're desperate enough, just pay it and STFU. If you're fooling enough, just pay it and enjoy. And STFU.

Supply and demand. I hope you get what you paid for.

People don't have to go if they don't think they are getting what they paid for Thursday.

Obviously Roscoe doesn't - that is why he has moved on to the NZ locations.

But it just wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to drop the prices when the visitor numbers are really high already. They have lower lift tix prices in the shoulder seasons, where they do have the capacity to increase patronage. From what I see the resorts are already wide awake, and making the best of what they have. And there is a lot of reinvestment back into the resorts - more snow guns at Thredders this year - giving even more of the resort the extra boost to extend the season. In understand that it is going to cost more to provide a good ski resort experience in Australia, due to the weather conditions we have here, and while I would love cheaper lift tickets, I am happy to pay for that service.

yeah, isn't it. It makes you wonder what's behind them.

What has changed in the last 20 years in Aus to justify the price hike in lift prices? Property price went up so they want a bigger return in relation to that? Australia is no lucky country when you look at what you get for your bucks. That's what goes around...

Anyways, do 3 weeks in Aus and the extra you pay will cover the plane ticket, so I reckon people just go to Thredbo for a few days in that season.

NZ commercial runs has gone up, too. The club scene interests me though.

Prices in Germany and Austria has gone up about 5 Euros this year. Still, we haven't paid more than 35 Euros per day this year.