I don't think it has much to do with property prices Jynxx, the prices for ski properties are not exactly booming, and haven't been as long as I have been looking.

The last few years lift tickets have increased by a few dollars a year - heck our school fee's have jumped by 6% each and every year for the last 8 years! But for the high prices I have seen benefit in our local resort - this year alone there has been the purchase of more new snow guns and a whole raft of new rental gear.

I think I prefer that to the resort verging on bankruptcy with 15yr old rental stock.

Not to be misunderstood, I love a bargain, and would love to be able to ski a well maintained resort mountain for free or cheaply ... but that is not our reality. It does help to take the sting out of the lift pass to buy it as a Season Pass though - works out cheaper (if you ride for 2 weeks or more in the season), and once it is paid you quickly forget about the cost.

I am aware that the costs involved does make it prohibitively difficult for struggling families to access. This has always been the case. I heard Snowboard Half Pipe Gold Medalist and Cooma local Torah Bright talking about how she started telemark skiing as the family could not afford lift tickets. And this is one of the reasons why we have purchased a ski apartment in Aus first - to make it available at no cost to our siblings families, thereby making a ski holiday a financial possibility.

And there are still some budget or value options available to families..

A peak season day ticket for an adult at Selwyn Snowfields will set you back $72, but you can buy a Season Pass for just $430 if you do it before the 31st of May.

Mt Baw Baw's prices for 2010 are not out yet, but they were 59/49 (weekend/midweek) for an adult last year.

And Charlotte Pass will charge you $89 for the day in the 2010 peak season, but that will include your oversnow transport and a hot lunch.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose all comes down to lifestyle. How you manage your work and free time.

I heard about your new pad. Congrats! When you like the place, all is well.

I wonder, though. If you were living on the East coast, would you have considered NZ? Example, Queenstown ? Since air travel is involved and a bit of a drive, I am impressed about the effort you take to get to Thredbo.

Most Japanese living in Japan and Oz have this impression that if you were to go snow, you are better off at NZ. Certainly a packaged fly and drive for a week or so looks very attractive and since accomodation is not cheap in OZ either. Frankly, I was impressed with Thredbo and Perisher when I first went there. Not bad. But I can't see myself doing a season there unless I work there. I still will hold a grudge for the high lift price though. Even if it is $20 more expensive than other places. It adds up. Like to be in a situation I don't have to think that way.

I really don't think there is such a thing as a bargain, and sometimes it's hard to work out what's cheaper or better. Again. Lifestyle issue.

Had a mate who had bought a pad with his brother and sister at Naeba. I was lucky to have had been able to stay with him for a month each season. We also went there in summer and played tennis at the Prince hotel. As long as they were happy with maintaining the place and felt they were getting something out of it, all was fine.

Well, when the novelty runs out, you just move on...

NZ is an interesting question for us.

Our two older boys have both been to Queenstown/Cardrona - twice each. One in 09, both in 08 and one in 07. They went on school trips in July.

We often talk about going to NZ, but always end up in Aus over those school holiday weeks. The drawback for us is driving up to the snow each day - we really like our walking distance accommodations - especially with teenagers who wont hurry up and get ready for first lifts. wink

When we ask the boys who have been to both whether they would rather go to Cardrona or Thredbo with the family they choose Thredbo, but I suspect that has a lot to do with the drive up each day. Number 2 son is talking about doing the Snow Trainers course in NZ rather than Niseko now (as it will give him an extra 6 months to save for it)....so he is certainly not against NZ.

Would it make a difference if we were on the East Coast? ... maybe ... but if the Aussie snow was easily accessed by just a drive I think the difference would be that we would consider NZ less.

I don't know Jynxx.

It is easy to head off for some Northern Hemi snow as we don't have any on our own soil at that time of year - the battle I have is that I always want to go back to Hokkaido and Papa wants to see the world. But when it is the Southern Hemisphere and I have had some awesome days in 'my back yard' I don't really see the attraction of playing in my neighbors yard - except for the novelty factor.

But ask me again after I have been, and you might get a different answer. I am learning and changing my opinion all the time.

I agree MB. As far as I know, the only NZ place with on-snow accommodation is Cardrona and i believe its not luxurious and doesnt have the village lifestyle.

We tried Jindabyne a few times, based on cost, but the daily return drive and all the logistics that go with it, adds another 2-3 hours to your day, for no extra benefit.

the idea of a luxury apartment, 2 minutes or less from the lifts AND shops makes for one very relaxing, yet invigorating holiday

lol

I don't really even need the luxury Gareth, although it helps!

As a large family (and I am sure you have similar issues with yours) we don't all want to go out at the same time... the boys like to sleep late and hit the lifts around lunchtime, whereas Papa and I like to be in the queue waiting for them to open, steaming coffee in hand.

Having on snow/near snow accommodation allows for that - leave the older teenagers tucked up in bed with a post it note on their foreheads telling them what you are up to. Leave the younger teens finishing up their breakfast with instructions to meet you at the lift after you've done your first run ... and just go.

It also means Mum can drop out at 3.30 to go back and get dinner started while the rest ride till stumps and slide in to the smell of a nice warm dinner.

I enjoyed our day trips to Perisher, and to Rusutsu (from Niseko) but I wouldn't want to HAVE to do that every day.

when youre daytripping, you also have to find on-mountain lunch, which can be quite expensive for 6 people over 7 - 9 days, so 'popping back' to the apartment for lunch helped (a little bit) to offset the cost of the apartment

The big fields in NZ around QT offer a free shuttle up the mountain each day. Not a bad option, the roads are diabolical when snowy. Most of the smaller club fields offer on snow accommodation though it's a one star experience.

NZ for me

I must admit that if I was to ever leave the wonderful Hokkaido summer and venture down to an Aus winter (very unlikely) I'd really struggle with value for money skiing at an Aus resort. I've skied at just about all of them and certainly had some fun but since skiing overseas it's opened up my eyes what real snow is and what good value for your buck is. For me Australian resorts offer neither.

I would definitely still head backcountry though. Some of the backcountry peaks like Bogong and Feathertop in Vic and the almost endless terrain off the Main Range in NSW offer a fantastic backcountry experience that is uniquely Australian and comparable to many great ski areas of the world.

Mantas - the roads being diabolical and having to go up every day would do my head in. And being a motion sickness sufferer I hate buses. It is a shame there are not more on snow accommodation options.

GN - you certainly are living in a very special area of the world. It would be very hard to not feel that way.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I must admit that if I was to ever leave the wonderful Hokkaido summer and venture down to an Aus winter (very unlikely) I'd really struggle with value for money skiing at an Aus resort. I've skied at just about all of them and certainly had some fun but since skiing overseas it's opened up my eyes what real snow is and what good value for your buck is. For me Australian resorts offer neither.
I would definitely still head backcountry though. Some of the backcountry peaks like Bogong and Feathertop in Vic and the almost endless terrain off the Main Range in NSW offer a fantastic backcountry experience that is uniquely Australian and comparable to many great ski areas of the world.

I am with you GN, certifiable snow snob. First snow experience was in NZ (Mt Hutt) snow was good if you didn't get blown off the road getting up there or it wasn't Mt Shutt. Then did Falls Creek, hmmm, great party, short runs snow average. Back to Persisher for some snot/cement. Then NZ QT for the same. Never been lucky in Aus or NZ since.

Whistler was my first real good snow experience, Sunpeaks, Jasper etc not bad. Aspen was fun but groomers only. Big White was good snow too but Big White out as they say (awesome family experience though). Now Niseko powder has completely corrupted me and it was just average while we were there. Like I say certifiable snow snob and powder hound.

Ticket prices - depends what you want but for the last couple of years every time I get to planning a local trip I can not justify the pacific pesos to do it compared to a an extra g to see the good stuff elsewhere.

Maybe this year I will do a package with work but that will be more apres then on piste... lower ticket prices and they might fidn the slopes even busier, as I tell everyone I meet to have the same outlook - save a little more and go else where. If you are rich like MB it obviously doesn't matter wink

Yep and most of us can't really afford to ski in both hemispheres each year even by ourselves let alone with families. Many of our Perth customers for instance only ski Japan now as it's not a much cheaper option for them to travel over and ski the Aus resorts. They have a much better chance at great snow, a bit of a cultural experience and they get to escape the blistering hot summers for a couple of weeks!

WE are trying queenstown nz this year taking some friends for their first snow experiance.did the $ for falls creek as I think thats the best place for first timers.then checked out NZ it was heaps better value for them even the lift tickets you have 7 days to use a 5 day pass [not in aus]and if they need a break there is heaps to do in Queenstown.We stayed at Wanaka NZ last year did Cardrona & Treble cone ski feilds where great but the you do get sick of the driving.I agree with Mamabear you connot beat staying on the snow.But you forget about the drive once you are there its so spectacular. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Go Native

Interesting and good tip from an Aussie punter, here.
Haven't been there myself. Love to check it out. Big country with plenty to see, and in a season few gets to see it.

One does miss a lot of opportunities when you are not prepared to drive up to the lifts.

In Europe;

Some pensions that need car access are cheaper and/or the meals they prepare are delish !

Ski-in ski-out is not a standard. Lucky and wealthy if you can do that at a great mountain.

Yes, waiting in a large crowd for the bus, going back to your accommodation packed is not nice even when you choose a place close to the bus stop. I had my training in Tokyo with crowded trains so no big deal. Definitely better when the hotel has a mini- bus that picks you up at the end of the day.

Parking your own car can be a bit of a hassle but I have been to places that have shuttle bus from parking place to gondola base station.

Just so you know I'm not exaggerating about good backcountry in Aus here are some pics of my favorite areas. If you've only ever thought of Australia as only deserts and beaches, think again! wink

I may not rate the value of skiing in Aus resorts too highly but I'd certainly head back to ski some of these slopes again.

Here's Feathertop 1922m, 2nd highest in Vic. Some of those gullies coming down off the peak are truly awesome and bloody steep.

AlpineNPFeathertop.jpg

Mt Bogong, Victoria's highest peak at 1986m. Great gullies especially off west peak which can't be seen in this pic.

wpb7301a2d_0f.jpg

The Main Range in NSW has all of Australia's 2,000m+ peaks and incredible backcountry skiing. Needs a few pics to give an idea of the terrain available.

IMG_6133a.jpg

see the two guys in this pic for perspective on the size? It's pretty impressive vertical.

IMG_6181a.jpg

The western faces of the Main Range, simply awesome!

IMG_9008.jpg

Yes Gareth, if you get off those high use lifts - Merritts, Cruiser and Kosi Express, and don't mind a t-bar you can really lose the crowds!

Looks like if we are prepared to hike we can lose them even more (thanks GN!)

None of those are my pics of course. All the pics I took in those days were on slide film.

I started skiing in '85 when I went to Geelong Grammar Schools' Timbertop campus boarding for a year. We mostly skied at Mt Buller but we also did a 3 day ski tour on Mt Stirling. I immediately fell in love with telemarking and skiing away from resorts. Once I got my drivers license I started doing a lot of backcountry trips solo and with friends and organised many trips taking people who'd never been backcountry before. Then at Melbourne Uni I was very active in the Mountaineering Club. This was an awesome club and was where I met most of my lifelong friends and my wife. The club was very active in hiking, xc-skiing, mountaineering, kayaking, canyoning, caving etc. After finishing uni I stayed active in the club for many years leading and participating in many ski tours, snow skills weekends and hikes. Up on those mountains above I've literally spent many months skiing and snow camping. Great mountains and really good memories. Geez I'm almost getting homesick! razz