• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I still have a Pentium II somewhere.

My desktop (not that one) is making some very strange noises of late at times. As it there is some scratching going on. I'm thinking that is the HDD being a bit ill..

I hate it when a computer gets to that stage where it just seems to suddenly really slow down and 'get old'. I'm really not very good at wizarding it back to life.

I have 2 computers - notebook and desktop. I could do with one of those new sexy looking desktop beasts, the one I have is getting on a bit now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm there right now. It's just slow and defrag and cleanup doesn't seem to make much difference. I think there's maybe just a bit of me just trying to convince and justify buying a new one.

Originally Posted By: veronica
I'm there right now. It's just slow and defrag and cleanup doesn't seem to make much difference. I think there's maybe just a bit of me just trying to convince and justify buying a new one.

Buy it! You know you want to! ;\)

I usually buy a new comp about every 2-3 years, as I like to keep up with the latest, but usually not because it has stopped working. As I always do cleaning maintance it usually keeps working quite well, but I guess when it comes to comps I just have to have the latest.

I have a new comp now actually, a Lamborghini, by Asus, running windows vista ultimate.

It has 4gb of dual speed memory, 160gb 7200 HD, 2.6ghz quad core processor, 9600 Nvidia graphics card.

Also got Bluetooth, wireless mouse and finger sensor security log-in.

Only bought it recently and very happy with it so far, I guess time will tell as to how well it behaves after a couple of years of hard usage.

I had to order it just like the cars, it took about a month to come, it's yellow on the outside and black leather on the inside, looks just like a Lamborghini, even sounds like one when you switch it on.

There's that sexy tiny Vaio with the floating cylindrical hinges with the power button on the end. I wanted to get that and my friend who works at an IT company forbade me. Supposedly too much proprietary Sony-only stuff on-board. Too bad - it is a really sharp looking machine...

yep, avoid sony. bad and evil software, overpriced.

I got a new dell in the us, it was about 13man but its pretty hardcore. The similar model in japan dell costs 60% more. i made sure to get the fingerprint reader, those things are great. they are going to be everywhere in 10 years.

I thought that was the prob with Dell. Too much Dell only components and they were made with cheaper materials. My mate advised me against dell. He said they weren't particularly bad but you had to order components from them and they tended to be lesser quality

My Sony Vaio is FANTASTIC.

Far superiour to the last Dell I had and that's not just because it is 2 years on and things have gotten faster. The build, the care in which it is put together, everything.

I would totally recommend Sony.

I got a Vaio and up until now I am very impressed in general. I really like it.

It is SO quite, i can hardly tell it is turned on. The last one I had was often giving me these whooshing noises and I definitely knew when it was turned on!

Thanks. Yes I am really pleased.

I can't see where all these Sony software complaints are coming from. Yes there is some on there, but lots of it seems pretty useful to me. I have deleted the stuff I know I will never need. And I got Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Lightroom full versions included.

All good to me and it is so much better than the build of the last machine I had.