Niseko direct flights gone? Real estate impact?

TorF True or false.

If you break down the prices at Deer Valley you will find them expensive with no real options.

I am surprised the local government hasn't stepped in a bit up there.

Hope it doesnt end up like naeba and the surrounding area I hate that look and feel.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday.
it's ridiculous. The number of apartments going up and the infrastructure hardly changing. Where the hell are you supposed to eat? Self catering is not an option. You can do that at home. When you're in Niseko, you're on holiday and that doesn't include grocery shopping, cooking, and washing up.

When I think of infrastructure, I also think of water systems, roads, power, etc. If you're going to have a half-million dollar holiday home, isn't this an issue? Who the heck pays for all of this?
 Originally Posted By: MikePow
Government, and home owners through annual taxes. Same as most places in the world.

Exactly, and an environment as variable Hokkaido, I bet it's not cheap. What's stopping the local govt reaming the holiday makers? I wouldn't think the farmers will be wanting to subsidize it.

Tripitaka I'm pretty sure it's the same here as almost anywhere else. If a subdivision of land goes in the developers pay for the roads, power and sewer connection. Then those that buy a lot will pay for the connection to their house. Most of the development in Hirafu has occurred on land that already has roads and other services available and you just build you apartments, houses, etc and get all these services connected. It's not cheap but the people investing here are not poor.

Thursday the other services will come. Remember this little boom is still in its infancy. Only 4 years ago there were only a handful of foreign owned apartments and Niseko was not that well known. Now there are hundreds of apartments and houses and there were plenty of new restaurants, bars and other services that opened this last season. And there will be plenty more next season. If you think though that not many people want to come here and cook their own meals then you have no idea of the market coming to Niseko. And like you'd ever cook at home! Don't you have the help do that for you? grin.gif

It's interesting GN, in other parts of Japan, particularly rural areas, funding the maintenance of public infrastructure is a major issue. Why? Look at the demographics, falling incomes, and years of irresponsible public spending. You don't have the critical mass in the sticks (even though that hasn't stopped Osaka city from bankrupting itself).

You are dealing with rural politics now. The LDP throws money at rural infrasture to prop up their standing. Rural people tend not to really care that the countries fiances are a mess.

There are areas in rural communities that have roads but they wont be cleared buy public money. These roads are considered privately own or privately shared. When you buy a house outside the city you have to look into this situation and consider it.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins

There are areas in rural communities that have roads but they wont be cleared buy public money. These roads are considered privately own or privately shared. When you buy a house outside the city you have to look into this situation and consider it.

don`t we know it....our road is privately shared and is not cleared by public money....
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins
You are dealing with rural politics now. The LDP throws money at rural infrasture to prop up their standing. Rural people tend not to really care that the countries fiances are a mess.

Rural politics. The thought scares me. You're dead right that the country people don't care, but somebody's got to foot the bill.

Nagano and Hokkaido have both long been pork barrel electorates for the LDP.

what is the thinking behind the mass concreting of rivers? I can understand it in the cities, built up area etc etc, but why do they buthcer their rivers in the countryside?

I particularly like the ones that look like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle ( forgotten the name tetraheedon or something lol.gif ). Often put in the most scenic of places to enhance the view.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: lin
2008 lift prices (A$)

$98 Perisher Blue
$97 Thredbo
$94 Falls Creek
$94 Mt Buller
$94 Mt Hotham
$92 Vail (USA)
$91 Alta Snowbird (USA)
$85 Deer Valley (USA)
$85 Whistler (Canada)
$77 St Moritz (Switz)
$74 Mt Hutt (NZ)
$72 Val D’Isere (France)
$71 Arlberg (Austria)
$66 Klosters (Switz)
$56 Niseko (Japan)
$48 Hakuba 47 (Japan)

(15/04/2008 exchange rates, rounded to nearest A$)

Those prices are scary.
No wonder so many Aussies are flying up to Japan.

Is just me or is there an increasing trend in Australia for prices to go up whilst service and quality go down? 9 yrs overseas now and counting and increasingly when I go back to Aust I'm left feeling that the place has gone to the dogs a bit.

• 1 year later...