• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky enough to be wined and dined at Joel Robuchon`s restaurant in Ebisu last night. I love my food, and I can`t say I have had many better dishes. We had the taster course I think and it just kept on coming. In total something like 10 or 12 dishes, those that really impressed me were Veal Sweetbread stuffed with ham and braised with cream, an amazing quail dish which came with some truffle (which was discussed in another thread once), there was some squab which I have never had before and was a taste sensation wrapped in bacon, and some ridiculously succulent slow roasted vegies with I think buffalo mozzarella. From here on in it gets a little hazy but was a fantastic gastronomical treat. Was a night spent quibbling, nibbling, masticating and ruminating over amazing food and great wines. Obviously tasted even sweeter when the bill was picked up by the clients we were dining with! Work occasionally does have its perks.

wow, farquah. I had to wipe my mouth after that post.

Hey, I had vennison last week. (I usually kill my own, but was stoked to eat it in a restaurant for the first time, they did a great job too! They get it from a hunter in Hokkaido and will call me every season when they get a rack.)

Ah actually I was only joking, tonight I'm having authentic Burmese curry - my friends wife is Burmese.

I just felt like someone should stick up for the regular guy who doesn't eat cavier on veal every night \:\)

...I do have some baked beans though, nasty too-sweet American ones from COSTCO, almost inedible.

You can get normal baked beans from the Foreign Buyers Club. They closed the Britshop section down but I think they still have the beans. I might well have poached egg on toast for dinner, that other thread has got me thinking about eggs!

I made ham & salad sandwiches for my +1 & I.

Multigrain bread,

Lightly buttered both sides,

Pickles on 1 side,

Avacado on the other,

Ham,

Onion,

Tomato,

Cheese,

Pineapple,

Lettuce,

Cracked Pepper.

Yum.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I just felt like someone should stick up for the regular guy who doesn't eat cavier on veal every night \:\)

lol.gif I think the same mate!
I think you'll find my selection is pretty norm for a J family.
Tonight
Maguro, salmon sashimi, pumpkin kuroke ;\) and tsukemono with a shiat load of sho chu!

I must report that tonight, through lack of imagination, I had:

fried finely chopped onion, garlic. When browned, add minced beef. Stir to cook beef, add chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme. Add tomatoe paste, tomatoe sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes. Pour over stringy Italian pasta.

Somebody should think of a name for this.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
fried finely chopped onion, garlic. When browned, add minced beef. Stir to cook beef, add chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme. Add tomatoe paste, tomatoe sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes. Pour over stringy Italian pasta.

Somebody should think of a name for this.

Lol.
Yeah, it's called: "Chopped-onion-garlic-tomato-bayleaves-thyme-with-beef-and-sauce-over-stringy-pasta", isnt it?
 Originally Posted By: bobby12

...I do have some baked beans though, nasty too-sweet American ones from COSTCO, almost inedible.

you British people are weirdos wink.gif, not everything made in Britain is the best stuff on earth. The Van Camps ones at costco are ok enough, I wouldnt call them nasty by any stretch and are quite edible.
p.s. Walkers "Crisps" are mediocre at best harhar.gif

I ended up having those beans for breakfast this morning. With some tea and no sugar they were just about passable as food. It was a bit like like having anko with macha.

Are most US baked beans that sweet?