Empty lifts (and - how long can they keep moving?)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right thursday, it is sad.

Let's face it though, a lot of Japanese resorts are like that. Perhaps not Niseko but even a place like Hakuba can be like a ghost town mid-week (heck, even a weekend in my experience). Lots of Japanese resort towns have that "half closed, run down and getting worse" feel about them. (Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh).

I will get boo-ed but sometimes if I'm with my lady I want be just me and her on a lift - quad or not.

If things were mad mad busy with huge queues I might be less inclined, but when was the last time I queued for more than a minute or two for a lift in Japan? (Can't remember).

From a professional perspective, not filling the chairs/gondola to their uphill capacity when there is a significant queue during the busier periods of the season means that skiers/riders in a snowsports school lesson have less time going downhill.

That frustrates me as the educator. Lord knows it must frustrate the student.

If there is any kind of signifigant queue - then I have no issue joining in with others - even with my ungracious but successful dismounts! But I PREFER to ride up just me and my kids or me and my friend ...and I will when there is no (or next to no queue) other people feel the same too!

But long queues = sharing lifts. Politeness aside the lifties need to be trained for it. And singles queues would help in this - I haven't seen one since being here.

Each to their own in regard to being annoyed that you have to wait for huge queues or are being shoved onto the lift but personally I get annoyed.

Although everyone pays for their lift ticket, I think it is inconsiderate to intentionally only have one person in a Gondala when there are other people who have also paid for a lift ticket and then have to wait excessive amounts of time.

Skiing and boarding are all about having fun and enjoying oyurselves but I can think of nothing more frustrating than seeing a Gondola going up with only 1 person in it. It is also the responsibility of others to get into the lift with unklnown people...I mean, they are not going to bite, maybe smell a bit ;\)

The only place in Hirafu I have seen a singles line is in the Gondola and it is inside the building where it is basically useless like had been mentioned previously.

I think on holidays and at weekends, many resorts are quite busy. Dont forget that most Japanese people are working during the week, and people dont get (or cant or wont take) many holidays. I think at this time, just after the new year holiday, it is fairly quiet - even on the public holiday weekend as its only one week after the new year break. Things will probably get a bit busier when the university students start their spring (!) vacation in February.

yeah Thurs, I'm sure that's exactly it!!

Haha. I think the point should be made that its the "duty" of the people behind to get onto the lift with 1 pperson, after all they can hardly turn round and and tell you that its their lift alone!!!

Unless of course you happen to be Posh spice!! Which is exactly what she did when I was behind her in the queue for the goldola at Meribel in France...well her giant security man did. Her father and kids got on 1 gondola, she got on another and the 2 security men jumped on the last one with all the skis. I got the next one up! She also stopped right in the middle of the slope, just below the brow of the hill, where yours truly just about bashed her into next week, she got a real shouting at as I swerved just in time!!!

Why are lots of famous celeb people tiny?

Why is life not fair?

I like taking lifts with people when I'm on my own. Some just do NOT want to talk while others do. As long as it's not "can I practise English", I'm happy to oblige.

Funny!!

Was getting on the Ace Centre 4 today with an instructor and we had one guy step up and join us.

No queue to write home about - but there were 2 snowboarders in front of us, I asked her if we should move up and join them and she said no, there is no queue to speak of and on a lesson it is better/safer to be just us. No worries. The skier was hovering - I thought he was waiting for friends to come through the gate. He did not join the 2 male snowboarders in front of us - but we must have looked like less of a threat - sweet Japanese girl instructor and middle aged woman ...still he didn't talk to us. But I found it funny he chose not to ride with the men on the chair before.

People and human behaviour just crack me up. Maybe that is why I chose Psychology!

Gala is mostly busy at the weekend - bnut have been numerous times this season on weekdays - and it's always like that - sometimes a little busier but not much more.

Last week got the shinkansen up - at about 7 in the morning - and walked around the carriages.

Now this was the double decker shinkansen and I looked around 3 carriages and saw one person. ONE!

Gala is busy at weekends. In terms of numbers not as much as 10 years ago (as you might expect). But the resort is only 2/3 the size it was 3 seasons ago (the south area closed) and there's less space for people to ride.